Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there...
I was looking into getting a set of the woodcraft sliders for my '06 and I wanted to get some opinions on the puck length.
I've already read every thread here on them so i've already covered the basics like, short pucks being better for track use because they lessen the chance of the bike flipping over etc...
I don't really do any track days so having that in mind i was looking into getting the longer pucks for a bit better fairing clearance.

Now my question for woodcraft slider users is, do longer pucks really provide any safety for fairings at all?
My train of thought is frame sliders dont provide coverage for fairings so having the longer pucks on, and having your fairings scratched (although not broken, but they would still require some work afterwards), is pretty much the same as having shorter ones on and having your fairings damaged anyway.... right?
...plus shorter ones look better and lessen the chance of the bike flipping...
Is there any reason to go with the longer ones?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Woodcraft engineers their sliders and spools to a specific length per bike. They have a height and angle that it puts the bike to as it slides on the ground that is less likely to tumble and more likely to keep the tank off the ground and the bodywork out of harms way.

For the 06 R6, they provide a standard length puck. This keeps the tank further off the ground than the 08+ models which use the short standard slider puck. Bikes like the cbr gets super short pucks.

If you're looking for a set hit me up.

:YEA

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Now my question for woodcraft slider users is, do longer pucks really provide any safety for fairings at all?
nope. if they did, they would call them fairing sliders.

Is there any reason to go with the longer ones?
no reason at all.

in fact, i don't use sliders any more on my track bike. i use case savers. better chance i'll get back to paddock with all my fluids...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all thank you all for the replies.
ChiefSmokeDawg is it possible for me to somehow see 2 photos of an r6, one with short pucks fitted and one with long ones, to see how much clearance difference the two provide?
I had already contacted woodcraft and they replied saying that they only suggest the long pucks for the 06-07 because at the time of design that was the only length available so they just left it there as a suggestion.
I wouldn't think that the tank could actually reach the ground even with short pucks installed but i would really like to see a comparison of the two... any way of that being possible?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a bunch for the photos RyMoney!
One question though...is that the short puck or normal one?
I'd guess it's the normal one, right?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
nope. if they did, they would call them fairing sliders.

s3aturnr
This...people install these for the wrong reasons. I've never seen the Woodcraft stubby slider set up flip a bike. Though I have seen some of those no cut slider that stick out like a foot on each side cause a cart wheel...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wondering if someone can provide a couple of photos with short pucks installed in order to check for fairing clearance compared to the ones RyMoney posted above....
anyone..?

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
Seeing as you don't track your bike as of yet, I would just go with the standard length/recommended pucks. You're over thinking it. You could always buy the shorter replacement pucks if after fitting you didn't like the length of the standards and flip them on Ebay.... Food for thought. ;)

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,075 Posts

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts