Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is to everyone who works on their own bikes. I want to work on mine, but there is a lot that I dont know about it. I mean, I can do basic things, but I dont want to start taking appart something when I dont know what I'm really doing. I guess what I'm asking is, are there any of you that didnt know what they were doing and kind of self tought yourself? If so, let me know what were some things you did to help things go smoothly. Or people that know what they are doing, give me any advice on what to do before digging in.

Thanks in advance.
-m0nkey

·
1 fat r1
283 Posts
download the service manual for starters and there are great guys on here that can help you through whatever problem(s) you're having by taking pics and explaining; but you have to be somewhat mechanically inclined:sing

don't be afraid of it bro; it's not like you're building a rocketship after all:jacked

·
Atom Smasher
861 Posts
+1 on the service manual.
Also, there are "how to's" on this forum for just about everything you would want to do yourself.
Make sure you have the right tools for the job. If you find yourself saying "this oil filter wrench is to big for this tiny little oil filter" don't pick up a pair of vise grips or a pipe wrench, etc... That is the time to get in your car, go down to the local hardware store and buy the right tool --> it will save you money in the long run.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
u will need, at the very least: stands, QUALITY tools, service manual (i have both pdf and hard copy) and a good place to work.
just dont get into anything that would be over your head, but basic maintenance is pretty easy to do w/ the right stuff.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
Its a lot of plastic. It will bend a lot before you can break it. Look it through and take your time. I had never worked on a bike before this one, and i thought it went pretty easy...

·
Registered
196 Posts
These forums are going to be your greatest tool outside of the service manual (as twism said, download it!). When I got my first car, a VW Passat, I had no idea what I was doing other than I knew how to turn a wrench. The Passatworld forums were absolutely fantastic whenever I had a problem or question. As was true with the Passatworld forums, the R6 forums have a large enough user base that you can potentially have an answer to a question in a matter of minutes. Don't be afraid to ask "dumb" questions. We were all where you are at one point. And don't take the pricks seriously. There will always be some.

My advice on learning to work on your bike: the fact that you are LEARNING will necessitate extra time for everything. Don't rush. You will undoubtedly run into problems, so just be patient and use the forums to your advantage. The greatest part about a motorcycle is that you don't have to deal with the kind of bodywork that you would with a car. Everything you could possibly work on you can pretty much see with the fairings off.

If you really want to start getting dirty with some of the more complex things, just be very meticulous about how you take things apart. Back when I was 15 I rebuilt the carb on my dad's 1980 RX-7 using nothing but an original Haynes Manual. As I took every part off of the carb, I put it in a little plastic baggy and labeled it with the instruction number from the book, and any special note required. This might have been overkill, but I have an RX-7 that fired up on the first crank after 10 years of storage to back my method up :) Point is just take your time and don't trust your memory.

Have fun too! Learning about the bike gives you a new appreciation for the engineering that went into it. If you spend enough time with your bike, you will get to a point where you can do most things without a manual. I'm not to that point with my bike yet...with my car that's another story! Good luck!

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
its all about trial and error man. The how tos and members on here will get you anywhere you need to be... Dont be skerred, rip into it! I have done ALL my own work and it was all done by taking my time and doing my homework first.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Sometimes just taking random stuff apart to see what its all about is the best thing. Just remember how to put it back together :p.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I didn't know a damn thing and wasn't mechanically inclined. with the help of service manuals online, and the forums...thank god for all the patient people helping out on the forums...i've gotten pretty comfortable working on my bike.
Do searches for good how-to's before you start a project. Definately take time, label stuff, put hardware in labeled baggies. Take your time and take breaks when things get frustrating. Usually an hour later a solution will come to you.
I suggest starting with Oil changes/exhaust/brake fluid/pads, cosmetic stuff as being relatively approachable introductions to maintanance.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Read up before you do things..just so you know what to be aware of...some things require a lot of fscking around.

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
Not sure where you can get a manual, but I have very little automotive experience, but I have learned alot from trial and error, and these forums, and other forums. When I bought my first bike I ripped it down over the winter, and when mod crazy on it and learned alot. That help when I bought the R6 I felt comfortable ripping things apart.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Being mechanically inclined helped alot for me.Mostly though it was working on my car over the years.When i bought it though i knew nothing about it.With a chiltons manual i learned how to fix it.The only thing i dont do myself is change the tires.Same with my bike.In fact bikes are simpler, so i wasnt too intimidated to tackle a job.Some of the first things i did were a PC3, K&N,HIDs,frame sliders,LED sigs,full ex,sprocket & chain upgrade,lowering link & GPR.#1 piece of advice BUY THE MANUAL FIRST, well before you need it & read it too.Especially the sections concerning areas you want to work/mod.Read the do's & dont's.Do this several days before your going to work on the bike.It sorta like studying for a test.You dont study the day before(or shouldnt anyway).Get farmiliar with your bike by reading your repair manual.The chiltons is a good investment for about $25.About 80% what ive know is from that manual.With the remaining 20% from here!

·
Atom Smasher
861 Posts

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
Sweet thx. My only issue is I have the extended warranty. They sent me a sheet that has to be signed by the dealer each service with a time and date, mileage, etc.

Had my first service done at the dealer to make sure my bike was ok and there weren't any issues during the break in period.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
i do all the work on my bikes with the help of a factory service manual, how to's and advice on the forums, plus it helps to have a friend or two that are mechanics.

up until a few years ago i had only worked on my cars which helped me be more comfortable with the bikes.

i also like to keep a note pad to takes notes about details or things i will need to remember through out the job, always bag you nuts and bolts and write on the where they came from, this also helps you not lose them. i like to take pics with my digital camera before hand.... then i know how it looked before, so then it will be much easier to put back together.

you will need lots of tools..... make sure you get front and rear bike stands, a torque wrench, there are a lot of other tools that have come in handy as well that i would recommend, but you might already have that part down.

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
i had never even sat on a bike before i got mine. I do all my own work now. Just some patience, common sence, and a lot of reading onthe forums here is how i learnt

·
Toys are expensive
240 Posts
I had never worked on bikes, but i was able to figure out how to install my flushies and my fender eliminator. it only took a few hours, a few beers, and a few fuses. lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts