Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

I have a 2000 R6 with D208 GP's, and a HyperPro Steering dampener.

After over 5000kms and 1 track day the rear tire is completely bald with a very flat middle. This past weekend, 4 friends and myself went on a 600 km ride in eastern Ontario (twisty heaven).
Anyway, on a long straight section we all gave the throttle a twist and at about 240 km/h my bike started to wobble. It was bad enough that I decided to let off, but not bad enough to not try again just to see if it was a fluke or cross wind or something (I'm kinda stupid that way). So I tried again a little later in the ride and again the bike wobbled. I've had the bike as fast as 254 km/h without wobble in the past, so I'm wondering if the flatness through the middle of the tire could be the cause of the wobble.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
umm that wobble is probably the BALDNESS of your tire NOT working with any traction to the ground. Get a new tire and save yourself a wreck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you think the fact that there is very little tread left is the cause of the wobble and not the shape of the tire? I would have thought the fact that it's flat would be more of problem.

I just wanted to know if this was a pretty well understood phenomenon, just for the sake of knowing.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ok...

you're running race-tires on a street bike, and you are squaring off the rear? I hope you are buying take-offs and not wasting money buying those tires brand new.

And to answer your question. I think everyone on here has enough sense to not ride on bald tires in the first place... let alone do top speed runs. :roll: However... if you have changed NOTHING else on the bike... it probably has more to do with the deformed profile than the lack of tread. Guys who run slicks aren't having problems with high-speed stability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to disregard the condesention that I'm sensing here and try to clarify something for you. The tires weren't completely bald before this weekend trip I just described. I knew this would be the last trip on this set of tires and took it easy in turns. I was unaware of flat profiles causing speed wobble or I wouldn't have done it, hence this post.

In response to the first comment, the tires came with the bike which I bought this season, not that there is a problem with running GP tires on a street bike, so long as you don't mind buying tires every couple thousand kms so you avoid the problem I encountered.

But thank you for your answer to my original question.

·
Registered
476 Posts
More than likely its your worn out unbalanced tires.

Since its worn now, grab a new one and try it again, should be fine.

·
Registered
712 Posts
RockyR6 said:
There is no "sensing" the condescension... it is overt and blatant. :cheers
Nice! :cheers

BAJ, just get new tires and solve your problem....just curious, why'd you go with a race tire on a street bike?

·
Registered
267 Posts
RockyR6 said:
and the claws come out, RockyR6 :gay
hey, do people really sell take-offs??? i just ordered a new set of pirelli diablos and still have about 500-600 miles left on my dunlops but was going to handle the 8k service check and tire swap at the same time soooooo could i sell the old tires on Ebay or something?????

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I doubt you can sell regular take off's for much money. The GP tires he's talking about are race compound GP tires. They are more sticky than street tires, so they warm up faster, and stick better. This is one reason why the guys on TV can drag their elbow, and we can't on the streets.

GP take off's are tough to find sometimes but worth the money. (usually $30-40 a set, and when I can get them, I use them for aggressive twistie riding. I also buy them for track days so I don't hose up my good tires.

And to address the original question, the tires get bubbles in them once they wear down. Also you might have seperated one which will cause a big time wobble. I would bet the wobble goes away when you replace the tires.

·
Registered
836 Posts
NoLegs said:
RockyR6 said:
The guy came here looking for help, you don't have to be a dickhead.
Damn... catching flak from the newbies. :roll:

I don't see you adding anything to this discussion... at least I addressed his question while I was flaming him for doing something squidly. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I got your back Rocky......

I don't think Rocky's point was to make the guy feel stupid. I'm pretty sure Rocky didn't sit down at his computer and say to himself, "I'm going to make someone feel stupid today, ohh look, here's my chance." Pretty sure it didn't go down that way. Anyways his post wasnt THAT condescending, and he did answer the question rather correctly.

Peace I'm outta here.

·
Registered
836 Posts
RSixxr said:
I got your back Rocky......

I don't think Rocky's point was to make the guy feel stupid. I'm pretty sure Rocky didn't sit down at his computer and say to himself, "I'm going to make someone feel stupid today, ohh look, here's my chance." Pretty sure it didn't go down that way. Anyways his post wasnt THAT condescending, and he did answer the question rather correctly.

Peace I'm outta here.
Thanks bro.. :mrgreen:

I actually was trying to be funny...

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ok ok, i gotta step in here ad a moderator dammit.

first off, when people reply they are not being mean theyre just havin some fun, DONT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.. i take a little bit of pride in the fact that this forum is a looser on the flamin part casue i enjoy it, but no one here means to be mean or condesending. if that is what a person does mean by their post and i catch it, IW ILL DELETE THE REPLY. SO PLEASE PEOPLE JUST ROLL WITH THE PUNCHES AND DONT TAKE THINGS SO DAM SERIUOSLY.

i know rocky didnt mean anything personally, hes just doing what everyone else does on here, having some fun. :cheers

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
HOLY SHIT This is the first time i've seen Loki do something other than postwhore :hump ..... :jump

See i'm havin good fun.... :hammer

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
RSixxr said:
HOLY SHIT This is the first time i've seen Loki do something other than postwhore :hump ..... :jump

See i'm havin good fun.... :hammer
ive done this a few times, just not very often cause theres not many rule breakers or probs around here, but im fixin to lay down some more law later today :cheers

and i will always post whore :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
awww shit everyone watch out for the big bad LOKIMAN.....Yea this place is really good about not taken shit personal, thats why i like it cuz i'm full of shit and like to talk a lot of shit.

So for all of you who take stuff too personal here have some drinks on me :drink :cheers :drink :cheers :boob :boob (and some boobies) :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts