Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the 06+ R6, would you buy something that let you physically remove the exup motor from the exhaust? I could make something that simulated the motor and only weighed a few ounces and would let you remove the entire exup motor assembly. Before I spend the time and money to develop it though, I'm trying to gauge an interest in the product. Would any of you actually buy a plug in chip that would let you remove it, or are you happy w/ just taking the cables out?

·
Sex......Yes Please
697 Posts
well what would the advantages be of your product? i am under the impression that just removing the cables solves that problem if you prefer no exup.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
Unless it was next to free i wouldnt expect many people to hop on the wagon, it doesnt weigh much and its not in the way. You have sparked my interest though...

·
Fancy crotch smell
368 Posts
Hmmm doesnt sound like it would be worth your time :sing

If you wanna make something, you could start producing CHEAPER frame plugs, the only company thats makes them rite now charges $30 bones for some rubber caps. CAPITALIZE on THAT! :yes

·
Registered
88 Posts
if you removed the exup motor and unplugged it could you cut a wire on ecu so you dont throw a code? I did something similar with my 07 gixxer (SET)

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
It's all ready been done people have relays to trick the pc into thinking it's still there.

Every factory or well funded race team who rides an R6 does not have the motor on their R6's

·
Can't Get Enough
130 Posts
It's all ready been done people have relays to trick the pc into thinking it's still there.

Every factory or well funded race team who rides an R6 does not have the motor on their R6's
Maybe a newbie question, but why? I was under the impression it was to your advantage to have it?

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Maybe a newbie question, but why? I was under the impression it was to your advantage to have it?
Sorry I do not know what question your asking,

Is it an advantage to have the EXUP remover?

or

Is is an advantage to have the Exup hooked up?

It depends on the situation,

if you have a full aftermarket system then you do not need the Exup motor to work but if you disconect the plug from the factory harness then it will throw a code in the computer and you will have the light on the dash on.

That being said if you have the Exup remover relay then you can fully remove the motor saving a little weight and getting rid of the useless motor on your bike. And the relay will trick the computer into thinking that there is a Exup motor and not throw a code.

Is it an advantage to have it hooked up with factory system? Yes, it creates back pressure and regulates the back pressure at most rmp ranges helping with the bottom to mid power that the R6 struggles with in the first place.

If removed will you notice a diff with the factory system, I beleive probally not.

But who am I, I have no hard evidence or facts to back that up, someone on here mite know for sure.

Hope I helped.

:)

·
Can't Get Enough
130 Posts
You pretty much covered the question except for the technical answers. The exup is to create more lowend trouqe, I don't see how stock or aftermarket would make a diffrence. Infact I would think you would need the exup valve more once you goto a full after market system (due to less backpressure)?

I geuss I'll have to do a search and see what I come up with. Thanks

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
You pretty much covered the question except for the technical answers. The exup is to create more lowend trouqe, I don't see how stock or aftermarket would make a diffrence. Infact I would think you would need the exup valve more once you goto a full after market system (due to less backpressure)?

I geuss I'll have to do a search and see what I come up with. Thanks
The problem is there is no way to incorprate the Exup valve into an aftermarket system, unless you have a super custom application. Even then if you some how had a shop place the Exup valve into a aftermarket pipe, then some of the tuning that the aftermarket pipe company put into that pipe will be lost do to changing the specs.....

Not to say it would not benifit, once again I can not answer those questions, but I can say if it was benifitial to the performance of the bike, then I think we would see more factory racing teams and privateers working the Exup valve into their systems.

:)

·
The lil yellow that could
41 Posts
Without the EXUP connected I did notice a loss of power in the low rpm range since you have absolutley no back pressure. If you like to cruise around 8,000 rpm you won't notice anything except a slight gain in HP until close to the redline.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Without the EXUP connected I did notice a loss of power in the low rpm range since you have absolutley no back pressure. If you like to cruise around 8,000 rpm you won't notice anything except a slight gain in HP until close to the redline.
Did you just remove the exup or what? Can ypu tell more about what you are talking about.

I got a full system from Graves, do not have the Exup do not have the 02 sensor. The gain in the low, mid and high rmps is noticed increased from factory 10 fold. I do run a Powercommander and ignition module, but if your going to put a full system on your bike you have to have it remapped or you should not put the system on.

Just the weight savings from the factory exhaust is enough to notice a gain in the lower rmps.

The only way I see you noticeing a loss of low rmp power is if you just took the exup off or unpluged the motor without getting a new system.

?????

Can you explain?

·
41 Posts
I just took off the stock pipe and was gonna build a custom pipe to eliminate the cat for a race exhaust. Never made it out to the track but I kinda liked the way it sounded. I borrowed a PCIII but had to ruturn it. Now back to stock bike with no pipe and no PCIII :( Everything is on the way though!!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I just took off the stock pipe and was gonna build a custom pipe to eliminate the cat for a race exhaust. Never made it out to the track but I kinda liked the way it sounded. I borrowed a PCIII but had to ruturn it. Now back to stock bike with no pipe and no PCIII :( Everything is on the way though!!
See im throwing this damn code 18 crap, dealer told me the computer needs some kind of update/re-flash etc

anyway to get rid of it? refresh the code? I dont have my exhaust yet, but i have the power commander so i could load a tune on the bike.

the dealer said itd take them 4+ days to get my bike back, cant hae it gone that long being the weekend and all.

·
41 Posts
69z28 -- Make sure that you don't unplug the sevro motor from the harness. Plug it back in and your codes should go away. Just take the cables off of the motor and toss them somewhere for safe keeping.

·
Registered
231 Posts
For what it's worth, I've had the same code 18 problem for several weeks now. It's particularly noticeable in stop-and-go riding. After a few miles on the freeway there would be a slight jump in power, then the check engine light goes off (presumably when the valve finally opens).

My dealer tweaked it a bit, but the problem returned. So they tweaked it again (adjusted the cables a bit). Now the problem is worse--the light doesn't go off at all. It's most noticeable at higher gears when rolling on the power. The bike either doesn't feel as powerful or the throttle stumbles a bit.

Until now. When I got home today I checked the valve and it's almost closed even with the engine running. So I removed the 3 screws that hold the black cover at the front of the exhaust, adjusted one of the cables so the valve is wide open...full time. No wonder I had a power loss this afternoon--the poor engine wasn't able to breathe very well.

This is only a temporary solution. My dealer has ordered a new servo motor and cables (a little over $300), fortunately covered under warranty. As soon as they arrive they'll be installed.

My mechanics tell me this problem occurs in about 1 out of 10 R6s. What I wonder is that if a bike is NOT under warranty and a person doesn't want to spend $300-plus to fix this problem, just simply adjust or cut/remove the cables so the valve is open all the time (it will be as it's spring loaded)--would have any long-term harmful effects on the engine? Probably not because my guess is that EXUP is more there to reduce noise and maybe meet emissions standards, especially on our California-spec models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts