Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I see half bikes are Salavged title cause they where stolen do u trust that ? I found a 01 13k miles Salavged title due to being stolen he Saids , super clean looks brand new . He's asking 2,800 but will take 2,500 for it

My question I guess would u buy it or pass ? Does it say stolen title if u looked it up ? Insurance would be more ? Of u crash or it got stolen is it worth 0 dollars

·
Stunt Rider
7,957 Posts
It depends.

·
Newb
94 Posts
Insurance won't be more... Insurance sees that it's worth far less than if it wasn't a branded title. Which actually makes taxes less too.. I've had a few salvage titled vehicles and my property tax was lower because they aren't worth as much.

It's not a salvage title when stolen but still considered a branded title because insurance had to buy it out. So it is valued for less.

And I've never seen a bike get stolen and treated right or looking good. My ex husbands '09 CBR1000RR was stolen. It was found almost a year later and it looked like hell. All scratched up (but didn't look wrecked) and the paint was horribly faded. Wheels were ever scratched??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Insurance won't be more... Insurance sees that it's worth far less than if it wasn't a branded title. Which actually makes taxes less too.. I've had a few salvage titled vehicles and my property tax was lower because they aren't worth as much.

It's not a salvage title when stolen but still considered a branded title because insurance had to buy it out. So it is valued for less.

And I've never seen a bike get stolen and treated right or looking good. My ex husbands '09 CBR1000RR was stolen. It was found almost a year later and it looked like hell. All scratched up (but didn't look wrecked) and the paint was horribly faded. Wheels were ever scratched??

Well that's good to know about insurance , I always thought it would be higher ,

Ya that's my thought if someone stole something u drive it like u stole it but this thing is clean , it's hard to say these days if people are honest about it

·
I eat tacos.
233 Posts
I'd buy one. But I like buying salvage title bikes cause I can get them so cheap.

·
Meh
9,236 Posts
If it's a track bike that doesn't need to get titled and will likely get crashed a lot and I don't expect to get my money back on it, then yes. (Provided it's priced considerably less than a clean title bike, which in your case, it's not.)

If it's for a street bike that I plan on selling again, no way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's a track bike that doesn't need to get titled and will likely get crashed a lot and I don't expect to get my money back on it, then yes. (Provided it's priced considerably less than a clean title bike, which in your case, it's not.)

If it's for a street bike that I plan on selling again, no way.

This is true didn't think of it could be a track bike , but alrighty street clean title got it makes more sense to keep a clean for resale

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Salvage rebuild? Insurance Salvage? Non-rebuildable salvage?

For a streetbike... nothing beats a clean title.
If its rebuilt salvage...even in mint condition its worth less.
If youre never going on public roads... non-rebuildable salvage will be the cheapest

·
Reads the rulez
2,250 Posts
Bought a theft recovery. Salvaged title. Sold it just as easily as a bike with a clean title. Uhh, yeah, you don't get as much money as a bike with a clear title - and you also didn't pay as much for it, so the end difference isn't much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't buy that bike. 2500 for an 01 isn't a deal with a clean title. Might as well spend another grand and get you a fuel injected bike.
Well idk where your from but here in CA first gen bikes private party sales range from 3,200-1800 but average prices 2800 seems to be it . Dealership are insane on prices , I would love a fuel injection bike we have a 01 and waiting for it to warm up takes forever . Unless in looking in the wrong place for bikes for sale

·
Newb
94 Posts
Bought a theft recovery. Salvaged title. Sold it just as easily as a bike with a clean title. Uhh, yeah, you don't get as much money as a bike with a clear title - and you also didn't pay as much for it, so the end difference isn't much.
Then you got lucky. I wasn't sure about the bike I got because it has aftermarket paint.. A branded title would put a lot of people off.

With my salvage titled cars it was a pain. Either people were afraid of the branded title (my STi was and it was the most reliable car I've ever owned) or wanted to pay WAY less than it was worth. Like 75% less.

If it's what you can afford go for it! If you can afford more do that (for a street bike that is. Track bike who cares what title it has)

·
Reads the rulez
2,250 Posts
With my salvage titled cars it was a pain. Either people were afraid of the branded title (my STi was and it was the most reliable car I've ever owned) or wanted to pay WAY less than it was worth. Like 75% less.
Anything is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I guess it's a hit and miss then when it comes to trying your luck with salvaged title . You ever have any issue with it ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then you got lucky. I wasn't sure about the bike I got because it has aftermarket paint.. A branded title would put a lot of people off.

If it's what you can afford go for it! If you can afford more do that (for a street bike that is. Track bike who cares what title it has)
Ya looking for a street bike not a track bike just yet not for another few years . Well ya I hear ya on the car title man I bought won before it was a nightmare for sure . But I never have good luck with used stuff

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,250 Posts
Sounds like you could possibly get something without the title issues for the same price.

Check with your insurance. Some companies won't do full coverage on a bike with title issues.

·
stuntin
736 Posts
Well idk where your from but here in CA first gen bikes private party sales range from 3,200-1800 but average prices 2800 seems to be it . Dealership are insane on prices , I would love a fuel injection bike we have a 01 and waiting for it to warm up takes forever . Unless in looking in the wrong place for bikes for sale
Well then even if 2800 is average for a clean title your not really getting a great deal for a salvage title at 2500. Just giving my .02, other then that it really just depends how bad you want it I guess.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
shopped all over the US for a clean low mileage bike.
Found one for what I was willing to pay even with shipping. Local shitboxes with tens of thousands of miles were going $2-4k more.
Thats with making calls & confirming they were accepting offers & the one (of 50 or so) I looked at needed more work than I was willing to pay for.
A local salvage dealer was selling a 2010 model with 15k on it for $7500. Thats with a defective title. BTW... new they go for a shade less than $10k.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.