Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got bored today and decided to pull the swingarm and inspect everything. Not gonna lie hasn't been checked ever. The pivot axel looks pretty ****ed, this picture is after a light sanding and some polish... The inner piece that the bearings ride on looks good except the line that looks like it was super heated and has a small lip on it. Pivot bearings feel good but the linkage bearings feel like shit. I even had some grease in there that had hardened. so I believe I need new linkage bearings, but I couldn't find a kit.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
all the bearings, swingarm and linkage, are OEM parts only. Some of the grease is a wax type substance on these to keep the pin bearings in place. there is no reason to not reuse the swingarm as it's independent of the bearings that are pressed in.
Now that said, it may be cheaper and EASIER to just find a complete used swingarm and linkage on Ebay from a reputable seller and just do the swap vs. buying all OEM bearings and then pressing bearings into the pivot areas.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Grease it up and you'll be good

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I wanted to repack the bearings a good waterproof grease is good, but what about the needle bearings with that wax stuff?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
So if I wanted to repack the bearings a good waterproof grease is good, but what about the needle bearings with that wax stuff?
if they are rusty, ya need to pull them all out. You could just jam some new grease in with your finger.
Fair warning though.. if you decide to start taking all the pin bearings out and remove the waxy stuff, do it over the workbench with a white towel or something so you can find any that you loose. Those individual pins will go all over if given the chance. They come out with a small screwdriver no problem.. the new grease will hold them in place for the most part if you go that route, but when you slide the collar through, if any fell out of place, you push em out the other side so just take your time.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not rusty. I just thought that wax stuff was dried out burnt grease. I've changed out needle bearings before on my 250f. They will go everywhere like you said haha. Well it seems everything is good, I'll grease it all up and reinstall it.
Thanks man

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
That blue ring is a weld. I replaced mine a few years ago and the new one looked the same.

I replaced mine because my bearings left indents in mine. I presume it happened because the factory had the chain so tight and I didn't know better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts