Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my man wants me to go to bike week with him in a few months. I know if I don't take my bike I'm going to wish I did. But it's a 6 and a half hour ride from here. And I have a screwed up knee.
I'm still contemplating it lol it's either take my bike or ride on the back of his damn Harley.

Would you try it?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Not if I wanted to be able to walk afterward.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Why not haul your bikes there?

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
longest ive done was about a 6 hour ride la to vegas with fuel and lunch in between....your body will start to hurt at around 80 miles or so....so plan accordingly

i have a somewhat messed up back and knee so i know how you feel lol....if you give yourself plenty of breaks you should make it no problem.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
And Im not sure I would want my own bike at something like that. The potential for it to get fcuked up, crashed, or stolen is pretty high.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
I'm assuming you mean Biketoberfest??? You have a few months to strengthen your core... unless it's changed though, I don't think you will see many sportbikes down there anyways...

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No bike week in may at myrtle beach.
I did think about the getting stolen thing.... I'd hate to have to shoot someone trying to take my bike.

No one is towing there. They don't believe in it. But then again they have non sport bikes and are younger lol

I haven't ridden this one other than from where I got it to home and that was 40 min.

I rode my '03 CBR600RR 3.5 hours after working a 24 hour shift with a few hours of sleep.... That didn't go well. But I was drained!!! And 5 years younger without the bad knee.....

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Still enough time if you are dedicated... you can stretch out your leg for a min or two during those highway drones... or stop frequently for breaks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try a few shorter rides first, going a little farther on each one to build yourself up for the long one. I have to do that every spring, but it works. As several others have already said, take frequent breaks. Even if you only stop for 5 minutes in a rest area, get off and walk around. Move your arms and legs to get your circulation going. It makes a big difference to do that. I have been on some rides when I just wanted to get there, so I skipped taking some breaks. Don't do that. I found out the hard way it isn't worth it. You will stay a lot more alert and relaxed by taking even short breaks.

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol I'll give it a try. If we can get some warm days when I'm not working.... I'm off all week but suppose to snow tonight into tomorrow.

But you all have made me paranoid about someone trying to take it. If we have a ground level room I'll push my bike inside lol

·
Needs to Learn
158 Posts
2 things, do about 4 breaks. About 5-10 min.s each and a gel seat and you be gtg.

Id recommend the prep for the long riding too ... like take a 3 hour ride on your day and see how you feel. Then times that by about 5 and you will see where you need to improve for stamina.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I rode my 07 r6 from Seattle too Reno and back in a 4 day trip a few years back with sport bike saddlebags. My other two buddies where on a 2012 VFr 1200 and a 2000 Aprilia futura when we got to reno they bolth where bitching about back pain i was feeling great. I'd say go for it, i actually ran into a girl from Vancouver BC in reno riding an 09 r6 that was headed too vegas with her husband who was on a ZX14.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 91 Posts