Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..

I have a Akarapovic full system and have wrapped it with the heat reducing wrap. Has anyone wrapped their system as well, and if so has it helped at all?? Just curious are there any benefits for more HP below the 120 mph mark?? Thanks in advance

leo

·
My R6 eats bugs
253 Posts
not that this would come into play with this system but ive heard from my friends that run mustangs on the strip that using heat wrap keeps things cool but will retain all the heat which over time makes the metal brittle effectively making it crack over time. just something to think about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lets hope then that the 1100 I spent on my full system will hold up. Its just my engine runs so friggin hot during the summer...pretty much melting in my leathers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I will get my full exhaust, I'm thinking to warp the middle pipe ( near the oil pan ) to reduce the heat going to it.

I have an Evolution VIII with 400whp and warping the exhaust will help a lot the engine bay.
It will reduce the life of your exhaust itself by retaining the heat. But it's been almost 5 years my headers has been glowing red and never crack.

Best thing to do is a high temp coating.

·
My R6 eats bugs
253 Posts
It will reduce the life of your exhaust itself by retaining the heat. But it's been almost 5 years my headers has been glowing red and never crack.

Best thing to do is a high temp coating.
what he said. ceramic coating FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wrapping your headers is a very good idea not only does it make everything run cooler around it but it will help in thermal efficiency how much combutioin heat ends up pushing on piston.

Heat distribution works as follows:
30-35% pushes piston
30-35% leaves with exhaust gases
30-35% radiated away

so when you get a full exhaust what do you think happens to that radiated away heat it increases but then takes away from the others in theory losing power to wrapping your full exhaust very good idea. It will actually cause you to gain power. Also dont worry the metal they use for exhaust systems arent going to get brittle and break away like they where saying...

·
My R6 eats bugs
253 Posts
which is why i said over time not over night. and if you want to do things right then get your system ceramic coated. racers use that and wrap to keep under hood temps down. since thats where your are pulling all the air your sucking in. also heat is a by product from combustion and doesnt make you make more power. you have an operating tempature yes but your 30-35% is beyond me. i dont know where you got that formula. and im sorry to say but heat does not make power in an exhaust system flow and back pressure does. but if it did the gains would be very minute. just get it coated and it will help with you with the heat issues you are having.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts