Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a windscreen today.. Can't remember the manufacturer, but the thing didn't fit. I bought it for a 03 r6 and it is shaped different around the mirrors and at the very front..
Took it back to the dealer and they pulled two others from the stock.. Both of them on the label said R6 2003, and they were the same as the one I returned. Wierd.. They only had an 04 to look at, and they saw that it was obviously different from the 03 shields they had in stock.

Soooooooooooo, they said they don't have any parts info for the 04 models yet, but they said it looks like they changed the windscreen slightly from 03 to 04..

Is this correct, or were there screens mismarked for another motorcycle or something?

Off to search the web for a windscreen.. They also told me they have no info on a rear cowling for the silver/black 2004 R6..
So, that means they can't order me one! How lame is that!?

Anyone with any info? Thanks! nittyp. :cheers

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
as far as I know there were no changes from 03 to 04 except some mapping changes to the engine. probably had them mis-marked.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Could have been screwed up in the mold... I thought they were the same too...
Or, like Pen says... wrong item numbers and stuff

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
they should be the same. i looked at part numbers from zero gravity and its the same.

what brand was it? what was the part number? how was it different?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I cannot speak for everyone, but I have noticed that several aftermarket windscreens don't fit very well. I looked at the Zero Gravity double bubble mounted on an 03 R6 at the dealer, and they actually told me they had to trim it slightly with a dremel to get it to fit nicely. Anyone else notice this as well? I am looking for a nice replacement, but I dont want one that needs to be hacked with a dremel.

RUbber side down!

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
jar1075 said:
I cannot speak for everyone, but I have noticed that several aftermarket windscreens don't fit very well. I looked at the Zero Gravity double bubble mounted on an 03 R6 at the dealer, and they actually told me they had to trim it slightly with a dremel to get it to fit nicely. Anyone else notice this as well? I am looking for a nice replacement, but I dont want one that needs to be hacked with a dremel.

RUbber side down!
if you like the fit of original equipment, but want a double bubble, then try here http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/...geId=100041&fProductId=47&startRow=1&endRow=8

its an item from europe. i want one also, but still cant figure out a way to purchase this item. if someone could actually import this item in my opinion they would make a killing because its a genuine yamaha product.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
I have the Fabbri double bubble screen and experienced the same thing.
It was hard to line up the holes that mounts the rear view mirrors. And it
doesn't even mount flush with the headlight fairing! :cuss The reason why i got this one because it was alot thicker compared to the Zero Gravity and I liked the shape of the double bubble.

But the Zero Gravity was a better fit compared to the Fabbri.

I think the Puig and the YME(Yamaha Motor Europe) posted by stone, windscreen would be good fits too for the 03-04. Unless it is true that the 03 & 04 are different?

~Mike~

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have the PUIG. It fits perfectly and looks better than anything on the market. Check them out at capefearmotorcycles.com you will like what you see.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
nittyp said:
Soooooooooooo, they said they don't have any parts info for the 04 models yet, but they said it looks like they changed the windscreen slightly from 03 to 04..
Find a new dealer......Here's yet another article affirming the only changes for 04 were Mapping and the exhaust canister was redesigned to work with that mapping (or vice versa)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, after all the shield did fit.. Sorry bout the delayed post. I thought I responded to tell yall that! It was a 'SportTech' windshield. It fit, it just fits a little differently than the stock windshield, around where the shield meets the fairing and around the mirrors is a bit different. If you look at the "SportTech' shield when its not installed and just held it up to the stock shield, you would never think this shield would have fit.

nittyp. :drink

1 - 18 of 18 Posts