Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
YAMMY BEAST!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took advice from my fellow r6 forum members and waited till i got some good seat time on my machine.. ive gotten comfortable on it and can throw it around pretty easy..

my understanding is.. (starting from 5mph 1st gear) roll on the throttle
cut off compltely at 6k, WOT then snap my arms back?
correct me if im wrong plz,, im doing this on a straight road too with all my gear

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
so i took advice from my fellow r6 forum members and waited till i got some good seat time on my machine.. ive gotten comfortable on it and can throw it around pretty easy..

correct me if im wrong plz,, im doing this on a straight road too with all my gear
First of all...you should definitely post this in the stunters section. You'll likely get a lot of better answers there. If you do a quick search you'll also find a TON of instructions on how to do it properly and safely.

Secondly, it sounds like you're trying to do a power wheelie. Don't do it that way!! I started doing the same things and it's BY FAR way more dangerous then clutching it up. Clutch wheelies are safer because you can do them at a slower speed, which in turn means if you fall you're less likely to get hurt too bad and total the bike. Trust me...I swore power wheelies were the best option, until I got a little balls and started clutching it up. Clutching is SUPER scary at first but when you get the nerve built up, you'll notice how much safer it is. Not that I do HUGE wheelies but sometimes it's fun to get it up a foot or two off the ground.

Be safe!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
sounds like the perfect way to put some shiny side upside down. Your better off trying the clutch method after you relieve some tire psi of course since your learning. Its harder to pull off when your learning it but its worth it learning it this way in the long run since your able to have some "control" of the wheelie height. Good luck...

·
^ Matt
5,011 Posts
First of all...you should definitely post this in the stunters section. You'll likely get a lot of better answers there. If you do a quick search you'll also find a TON of instructions on how to do it properly and safely.

Secondly, it sounds like you're trying to do a power wheelie. Don't do it that way!! I started doing the same things and it's BY FAR way more dangerous then clutching it up. Clutch wheelies are safer because you can do them at a slower speed, which in turn means if you fall you're less likely to get hurt too bad and total the bike. Trust me...I swore power wheelies were the best option, until I got a little balls and started clutching it up. Clutching is SUPER scary at first but when you get the nerve built up, you'll notice how much safer it is. Not that I do HUGE wheelies but sometimes it's fun to get it up a foot or two off the ground.

Be safe!!

not arguing but I found power wheelies to "feel" much safer to start on being that the front end seemed to lift much slower and smoother where clutching it caused the front end to raise up very quickly and i normally freaked out and let the front end smack back down.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
not arguing but I found power wheelies to "feel" much safer to start on being that the front end seemed to lift much slower and smoother where clutching it caused the front end to raise up very quickly and i normally freaked out and let the front end smack back down.
a lot of bad habits FEEL a lot better than good habits. this is one of those things that FEELS safer...until you go over. then you find out it hurts like a mofo. my best friend found out the hard way.

and also, try to get the mods to move this to stunters section. like one guy said, you will get A LOT more help in there. :cheers

·
Registered
469 Posts
I can't get my 09 to power wheelie, I've tried decently hard too. :(

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts

Stick with this method. WOT and completely shut off the throttle. After about 7-8 forks seal changes, start using the clutch up method. :sing

·
YAMMY BEAST!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stick with this method. WOT and completely shut off the throttle. After about 7-8 forks seal changes, start using the clutch up method. :sing
i finally got it lol
its pretty fun but dangerous

have to do it around 60mph..

how expensive are the seals? not that ill be doing wheelies all the time or anything

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
i finally got it lol

how expensive are the seals? not that ill be doing wheelies all the time or anything
You're doing wheelies for the first time at 60mph??? Be easy man. I would never try to get it up off the ground at that speed man....falling would be critical!

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
i finally got it lol

I was being sarcastic. Use the clutch.

·
YAMMY BEAST!
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
333 Posts
imho learning to wheelie in 2nd gear at speed is much easier and safer than learning in 1st gear. yes, if you dump it in 1st at 30 it breaks less shit and hurts less than dumping at 55-60, but the reason i say 2nd gear over 1st is that 1st gear is way too agressive and touchy for a beginner.

after your comfortable with 2nd gear wheelies and riding them out and setting them down nice and whatnot, you will feel much better about clutching up 1st gear because compared to 2nd gear, 1st gear comes up FAST and doesnt need nowhere near the rpms to come up as 2nd gear.

biggest thing with learning wheelies is take baby steps. yeah, youll jump 3-4 inches off the ground for a little while til you get used to how the bike rips your forward when you clutch up (so hold the fcuk on) then youll get more brave and rev higher and wheelie higher. if you expect to be carrying the front wheel for half a mile your first time doing wheelies, youll kill yourself. plain and simple.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
imho learning to wheelie in 2nd gear at speed is much easier and safer than learning in 1st gear. yes, if you dump it in 1st at 30 it breaks less shit and hurts less than dumping at 55-60, but the reason i say 2nd gear over 1st is that 1st gear is way too agressive and touchy for a beginner.

after your comfortable with 2nd gear wheelies and riding them out and setting them down nice and whatnot, you will feel much better about clutching up 1st gear because compared to 2nd gear, 1st gear comes up FAST and doesnt need nowhere near the rpms to come up as 2nd gear.

biggest thing with learning wheelies is take baby steps. yeah, youll jump 3-4 inches off the ground for a little while til you get used to how the bike rips your forward when you clutch up (so hold the fcuk on) then youll get more brave and rev higher and wheelie higher. if you expect to be carrying the front wheel for half a mile your first time doing wheelies, youll kill yourself. plain and simple.
I concur. Just don't dump the clutch. Practice slippin' the clutch. Watch some stunt vidz and try to listen and observe what the pro are doing. They don't rev the shit out of the bike and dump the clutch but rather quick rev while slippin' the clutch and practice throttle control and braking.

Aim to find the BP first, this is the biggest learning curve. Once you can find BP, the rest is history. But, to get there is the hardest/scariest part of the learning process.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts