Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend any good brands for Xenon/HID bulbs? I'm looking for a white light like car xenon headlights.

I've seen the lockhart phillips ones, and I'm not a big fan of the lockhart phillips quality. I saw PIAA ones, but those are way too expensive. Any other brands out there?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
Ed said:
I saw PIAA ones, but those are way too expensive.
what do you mean by expensive? the average price i seen for those kits are about $200. these are the real HID kits not those cheap bulbs they sell on ebay. those cheap bulbs on ebay will melt something. could be your wiring harness or housing or worse both.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PIAA bulbs cost about 100 bucks for one. It's not really THAT expensive, but I'm cheap bastard, so any deal I can get, I'll take it. Would a bulb like that melt anything in the wiring harness?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Are they're HID kits for my 2001 R6, I know they're are universal kits but I was wondering if anyone else had them on thier bike, and where did they order it from.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
Ed said:
The PIAA bulbs cost about 100 bucks for one. It's not really THAT expensive, but I'm cheap bastard, so any deal I can get, I'll take it. Would a bulb like that melt anything in the wiring harness?
not too sure. the real deal hid kit is expensive. i believe it comes with bulbs and ballasts you need to wire up. i dont know much about it. i was gonna get a set but opted to buy tires and other goodies instead. another user here set up a group buy a while ago here and did an exellent write up. you might want to do a quick search and pm the guy.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, sounds kinda pricey for just lights. If it was some sort of performance mod, maybe, but that's just too much loot.

What about just getting xenon light bulbs? Would those mess anything up in my light housing?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ed said:
Yeah, sounds kinda pricey for just lights. If it was some sort of performance mod, maybe, but that's just too much loot.

What about just getting xenon light bulbs? Would those mess anything up in my light housing?
some are higher wattage, and may actually melt plastic parts.

I'm going to do the HID conversion, it's worth it to me, unicque and cars are more likely to see you, I want the 7,000k

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah those bulbs are like 55w but output is like 110w so they might melt over time. Also i've seen those bulbs crack the projector lens on 03/04 R6's.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the HID is that expensive, and the xenon bulbs are crap, then **** it. I guess I'll just use the money to buy food for my daughter. I'm tired of hearing her complain that her stomach hurts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts