Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that HID is brighter than xenon bulbs. Is that true? And are they both white light, or is HID a yellow light like the stock bulbs? If you use xenon/HID bulbs for both your low and high beams (2004), is there going to be any sort of distinction between high and low beams or is it going to be the same?

Oh yeah, riding the canyons at night is fucking scary as ****...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Real Hid is xenon... if you're talking about the 30 dollar xenon hyperwhite bulbs that is not real xenon... real Hid works in different temperature kelvin ratings.... 4300k is the whitest and yields the most light... the higher temperature you go the more color and less lumens... hyperwhite bulbs are more white but even if the temperature is rated at 4300k it is not anywhere close to real hid...

when you say distinction you mean??? yoiu have dual projectors so each one will have a hyperwhite look or if you go hid then each one will have the hid look... it can be costly to get dual hid for high and low beams not to mention mounting all the parts... take a look on ebay for oem hids or d2s hid and you'll find a good amount of stuff...

if you wanna go hyperwhite go to your local parts store and it will cost you less but the end result isn't that great... also hid bulbs last about 10x longer than halogen

·
Registered
80 Posts
Like ptirmal said, HID are xenon gas filled bulbs that use a ballast to power them. They are no comparison to just halogen/superwhite bulbs. HID's vs. a Superwhite is a night and day difference in brightness.

Right now I am in the process of putting together a kit for my bike (99). The difference between your bike and mine is that I run H4 bulbs. For high and low beams they are ran with one bulb. On the newer bikes they are H7's I believe for high and low beam. What you can do and this would be best, is to get HID's for your low beam and then change out your high beams to Super White bulbs. If you tried to run 2 sets of HID's, I think it's going to be hard to mount all those ballasts on a bike. Not to mention, HID's take time to warm up to the proper color temperature. So in the event that you are trying to quickly flash your high beams, HID's would not be the best choice.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get my HID's put onto my bike

Here is a post I made yesterday with the new SPP Super White Bulbs. These are pretty nice for bulbs alone. Really bright and the color is nice: http://www.r6-forum.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4114

1 - 4 of 4 Posts