Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
blah
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know there are a couple of threads on this, but i have yet to find a concise answer.

I am in the process of purchasing a full Terminogi GP exhaust (with a K&N hi flow filer) and i want to confirm whether i should be looking at buying a PCIII ( outdated?) or PCV!

All the websites ive been searching to buy from show PCV for 08 + and PCIII for 06-07 but Dynojet website shows PCV? so im a little confused

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sorry for asking this often repeated question AGAIN....

Appreciate some advise

Cheers

·
Registered
380 Posts
the PCV will work for the 06-07 bikes as well.

as for the differences, there are many. with the PCV you can cut into the gear position wire, and the TPS and have individual maps for specific gear (1st, 2nd, ect.)

you also have the option of running the auto-tune add-on that allows you to set a specific A/F and it will make live changes to the map to meet that A/F even if there is a "zero" map loaded.

there may be other improvements, but I don't have a PCV, so I'm not sure what they are.

another option you could look at is getting your ECU flashed by one of the people on the forum here, like Bauce Racing, or Ohio J. that will utilize your ECU and does not require a piggy back systems like those of the bazzaz or PC. they can also unlock your throttle for true 100% open throttle bodies, and other awesome options

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
As already mentioned the PCV works fine on the 06-07, you even follow the 08+ instructions when you install to an 06-07. It's exactly the same.

The PCV is better in pretty much every way, and last I checked even cheaper then the PCIII.

I have some sections in my FAQ about the PCV / Bazzaz / Flash routes.

FAQ: PCV vs. Bazzaz
FAQ: Flashtune vs PCV / Bazzaz

FAQ Index here for more..

·
blah
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys - ive decided to go with PCV and get ti tuned at a dyno shop - Only one question though with the PCV i plan on getting a quick shifter down the track, do i need ignition module? Dynojet sell Q.S expansion module and Q.S pull sensor - which one do i get. Im running GP shift with woodcraft rearsets

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Cheers guys - ive decided to go with PCV and get ti tuned at a dyno shop - Only one question though with the PCV i plan on getting a quick shifter down the track, do i need ignition module? Dynojet sell Q.S expansion module and Q.S pull sensor - which one do i get. Im running GP shift with woodcraft rearsets
Honestly, get your ECU flashed to support quick shift.

If you are set on using the PCV quick shifter, it is recommended to use the ignition module. Cutting fuel is never the recommended method, as cutting fuel can create dangerous lean conditions, which are even more dangerous at high RPMs. On top of that without the SFI add-on, you are only cutting out 4 of the 8 injectors, meaning you will definitely be creating a lean condition. You need to cut the ignition.

A flash would be much cheaper then the ignition module and then you can hook the quick shifter directly to the ECU. You can't easily tune it without a flash interface, but most of the time people flashing ECUs have this pretty dialed in anyways.

·
blah
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i ended up getting the PCIII and termingoni exhaust installed and dynoed.

With the new exhasut the bike is only pulling 96.5HP!? I understand there's loss of power over the life of engine but don't the 06's come stock 130Hp?

that's almost 30 horses down from factory

I have a hi flow filter and full exhaust

Thoughts??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Thoughts??
Ignore the numbers. Seriously every dyno will read a little differently. You can get very different numbers depending on where the wheel is on the roller. Heck even tire pressure will change the reading. There are way too many variables, all you care about is the difference between the what it was and now. Also keep in mind there there is no "ram-air" on the dyno either, which will also help your bike.

I did not see an AFR chart anywhere on that dyno sheet? Did they not provide one?

·
blah
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ignore the numbers. Seriously every dyno will read a little differently. You can get very different numbers depending on where the wheel is on the roller. Heck even tire pressure will change the reading. There are way too many variables, all you care about is the difference between the what it was and now. Also keep in mind there there is no "ram-air" on the dyno either, which will also help your bike.

I did not see an AFR chart anywhere on that dyno sheet? Did they not provide one?
Cheers OhioY

Definitely rides better, mode mid range torque etc...

Nah they didnt provide a AFR chart, im assuming thats Air Flow Ratio chart?

Not sure if this is common when after a PC is installed but ive had the check engine light come on twice after the engine is turned on cold and then it goes away

·
Registered
13 Posts
Highly doubt its 130 HP stock. All the numbers fluctuate between 95 and 110 depending on the dyno. My buddies '11 CBR with a slip, BMC filter and PC manages 109. His bike is one of the fastest I've seen off the line.

·
Registered
380 Posts
130 is the BHP meaning that's what the engine makes at the crank, drivetrain losses put all r6's about 110 HP to the rear wheel.

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
Did they dyno the bike or did they dyno tune the bike? Because if they tuned it, that's not a very good power curve. Also the final graph is based off of speed not engine rpms (So hard to do a complete tune off rear wheel speed alone). What you're looking for is a graph like what I have attached. This is a before and after tune (and stretch) on a 2006 Busa we did at our shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
When you hear guys say their R6 makes 110hp, more than likely they got the run done on a Dynojet dyno. We have more dynos in the field than all the others combined. Not all dynos will read the same as ours so the number you are getting really can't be compared to others unless they were done on the same style dyno.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts