Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Ridin' dirty...
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever picked up one of the Yamaha leather jackets MADE by Yamaha? I'm kinda diggin' this one:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/apparel/apscitemdetail/1/14/all/all/6100/detail.aspx

I went to a local dealer the other day and all they really had was Joe Rocket textile jackets...I had a decent sized hoodie on, but I tried on a L, XL, and 2X jacket and not a single one of them felt even remotely comfortable. I'm not even that big of a guy, only 5'10" and abougt 190 lbs. I felt really confined and like I had limited range of motion...

Anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
318 Posts
If I can find them at a reduced rate, Ill let you know.
I have several requests in now for price quotes. I also put an 'Want it Now Ad', in ebay

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just recieved an email from a dealer stating that the Jacket we are looking at, is actually an '06 style. PM me for more info.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
those jackets dont have CE rated armor, i do believe. they look pretty nice tho.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is the description from Yamaha...
Urban Leather Jacket

1.4mm cowhide leather shell with polyester lining. Removable insulated vest liner. Full Flex ™ windproof sleeve panels. Reflective taping.' Dual density armor in shoulders, elbows, and back'. Chest and back exhaust vents. Shoulder air vents. Neoprene collar. Adjustable waist. Two handwarmer pockets. 8" zipper for pant attachment. Yamah embroidered logos.

·
Ridin' dirty...
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I did...my only hesitation right now is sizing...when I spoke w/ your guy he wasn't very clear as to what the return policy would be if the jacket didn't fit, I simply wanted assurance that they would exchange it for one that would, and he couldn't give me a yes or no either way. I'm still searching locally so I can get an idea of fitment before I place an order. Thanks for your help though, much appreciated!

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
I went to a local dealer the other day and all they really had was Joe Rocket textile jackets...I had a decent sized hoodie on, but I tried on a L, XL, and 2X jacket and not a single one of them felt even remotely comfortable. I'm not even that big of a guy, only 5'10" and abougt 190 lbs. I felt really confined and like I had limited range of motion...

Anyone got any advice?
H'ok...so you felt like you have a limited range of motion in a XXL textile JR? Ummm...one of three things, either you're 'enhancing the truth' about your weight, or your hoodie was simply too big and thick, or a combonation of both. Don't take it the wrong way dude...but it simply doesn't sound right.

Now, think...how much range of motion do you need on the bike anyway? You think the professional GP riders of the world can do the Macarena or the Chicken Dance in their suits (which is where street jackets are derived from)? No...they can't...they need to move just enough to get on the bike and work the controls...so if you're worried about range of motion...buddy...you shouldn't be. :fact

Sorry if I sound like an ass...it's Monday morning...just tryin' to get my point across. :cheers

·
Registered
318 Posts
Moto GP riders have a whole lot more range of motion than what your giving them credit for. They DO move on their machines, alot. Only on streights do they sit squaire in the saddle. the rest of the time they are moving.
As far as wearing a Hoodie under a jacket, I agree it will restrict the heck out of movement. Plus it wont allow you to crane your neck back or side to side, due to the hood.
At least on my R1 I dont like it. But, thats just personal preferance.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
Moto GP riders have a whole lot more range of motion than what your giving them credit for. They DO move on their machines, alot. Only on streights do they sit squaire in the saddle. the rest of the time they are moving.
As far as wearing a Hoodie under a jacket, I agree it will restrict the heck out of movement. Plus it wont allow you to crane your neck back or side to side, due to the hood.
At least on my R1 I dont like it. But, thats just personal preferance.
Ok I guess I went a little over, but yeah, you're right, they do move a lot on the bike. But I suppose I perceive the statement of 'limited range of motion' by a rider that's obviously still learning (it's ok OP...learning is good! That's why you posted here! :D ) that wouldn't include those subtle position changes on a bike that really...only professional (and trackday enthusiasts) riders utilize.

Really OP...if you're looking for a good street jacket...and JR seems to inhibit your range of motion...try out ICON. Their entire cataloge is aimed at street riders...take a look at thier TiMax jackets or their Merc textile ones. The armour seemed a bit off on their Merc when I tried it on...little too low on the elbow...but wtfe.

Let us know man!

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts

·
Ridin' dirty...
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
H'ok...so you felt like you have a limited range of motion in a XXL textile JR? Ummm...one of three things, either you're 'enhancing the truth' about your weight, or your hoodie was simply too big and thick, or a combonation of both. Don't take it the wrong way dude...but it simply doesn't sound right.
I'm not a chick, there's no need for me to lie about my weight. Your second assumption was much more on target...I did have a pretty heavy hoody on, and that was a big factor. I have since tried on quite a few jackets after that experience and have found that for me, Alpinestars and Joe Rocket just doesn't fit as well on my frame. Icon stuff is MUCH more comfortable and doesn't feel anywhere near as limiting.

Now, think...how much range of motion do you need on the bike anyway? You think the professional GP riders of the world can do the Macarena or the Chicken Dance in their suits (which is where street jackets are derived from)? No...they can't...they need to move just enough to get on the bike and work the controls...so if you're worried about range of motion...buddy...you shouldn't be. :fact

Sorry if I sound like an ass...it's Monday morning...just tryin' to get my point across. :cheers
If I can't do the Chicken Dance in my gear, then **** it, I'll just ride nekkid! :nocontrol

I am definitely still learning...I rode for several years in the past and when I was younger (19-21) I never wore gear. Hell, I would ride in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals with sunglasses. Now that I've grown up and come to realize how stupid that was, I'm just getting used to the idea that protective gear/clothing needs to be relatively tight, unlike the baggy style of clothes that I usually tend to wear regularly. When I first made this post, I wasn't really aware of how a good protective jacket was really designed to fit the rider.

In the end, I was much more comfortable in the Icon Motorhead that I tried on, so much in fact that I went ahead and ordered this today:

Got it for only $205 on eBay through Dennis Kirk (it was a "display model", but wtf do I care if someone else tried it on first?) while the retail was $450. Pretty psyched...

·
Registered
318 Posts
How old are you? Old Neked guy's are scary! At least thats what my EX-g/f say's!
Glad you found a jacket! Thats a SMOKIN deal!

·
Ridin' dirty...
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm 28 now...and in all seriousness, there will be no nudity. I couldn't even begin to imagine having to pick gravel out of my own ass cheeks if I were to go down...lol

Did you ever order the Yamaha jacket? If so, and if you've gotten it, what's the verdict?

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
LOL Yo ill...I like your sense of humor man! I wasn't saying you were 'lying' about your weight...just that...some guys don't think they're as thick as they are and vice versa...some guys think they're bigger than they really are! :flex:

Anyway...yeah man I think you're going to be super happy with what you got there. I've tried on countless jackets and I seem to prefer the fit of JR for me...(on top of that..my names Joe so people not-in-the-know think I got custom gear! lol) I also have an Icon Timax 1 mesh....I love the way the jacket fits and feels, but it's lack of armour in the shoulders and elbows makes me weary to wear it often...(I was wearing it at the Gap in my sig pic...but that's cuz it was the only jacket I had at the time).

Anyway, good luck and don't forget to post pics up here when you get it in! Its....THE LAW!!! :banned:

:YEA

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
I'm 28 now...and in all seriousness, there will be no nudity. I couldn't even begin to imagine having to pick gravel out of my own ass cheeks if I were to go down...lol

Did you ever order the Yamaha jacket? If so, and if you've gotten it, what's the verdict?
You can search YouTube...it has been done...:fact:nono

1 - 20 of 43 Posts