Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys. This is my first post on this forum. I bought myself an r6, about 2 months ago. And i think i am having some electrical issues. The first thing that happened, was when the bike was going full open throttle, the signal horn activated by itself. And after a couple weeks or so, both of my HID Xenon Headlights broke at the same time. This was also the first time i desided that i was going to ride with both the high beam and the low beam at the same time. They whent dark about 5mins. into driving. So i bought 2 new 7h Xenon bulbs and installed them, no lights came on. All the fuses seem to be okey doh... And i have to note that, when i was going to remove the bulbs, i found out that the high beam bulb was a little bit loose. My batteri gives out 12.46v. So, can both balasts go out at the same time because of one loose bulb? and i think each headlight has its own relay, so can that be the case with them aswell ? or it could be the relay harness ? I would love to hear someone else's opinion, before i go any further.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
probably the ballast. I stay away from all these HID stuff because of that problem and they usually kill the charging system. if I were you I'd scrap the HID setup and find LED bulbs.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Someone modified your horn... installed one of these types...

Bikes don't come standard with HID lights. 98 times out of 100 when people modify, they screw something up and even a minor detail can have larger consequences down the road.

If the 3rd-Gen switches are designed like the second gen, I'd be real surprised to "hear" about a false activation problem. If the "springiness" is gone from it, it will need to be replaced. The horn if OEM is about a simple a circuit as it could possibly be. The main fuse powers the ignition switch which runs through the signal fuse on to the switch which powers the horn. The only possible way that horn could ghost activate is either a wiring short, or a faulty switch. If the horn has been changed, the replacement could be drawing too much current through the switch.

A guide for how to *properly* wire a replacement horn system with higher than stock 3 Amp power draw is here... https://www.r6-forum.com/forums/51-how-tos/444878-guide-wiring-new-horns.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I actually think it is the OEM Horn on it. I can take a picture and post it, later if you want. ehm, the switch seemed okey, but i will be checking it aswell.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I suppose another possibility, the horn itself is shorting internally. If it's not the wiring or the switch, that's probably the most likely cause. The initial statement and graphic were of course, a joke. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah most likely. Hehe, i didnt get it. But funny when mentioned. So, i just went out and bought the Standard Bulbs. I removed all the old HID SHIT. But still no headlights, only the middle one at the front. So the relay's must have blown aswell? The switch seems fine, so it might be an internal shorting :) I'll just remove it completely, not sure if i even bother buying a new one. Thanks for any input BTW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So an update. It was the Headlight Gauge Sub-Harness Wire that was broken. Probably because of the HID setup that was on it. I am back to the Halogens now =S=S Looks to yellow for my taste, so i am thinking of getting the LED bulbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts