Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am little confuse about the pressure on my tires.
The manual is wrote 36psi for front and 42 for rear on cold tires
what do you think? are they ok?

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,809 Posts
pressures are directly related to the type of riding youre doing.

Should be the opposite if youre on the highway...42 up front and 36 in the rear (which should grown ~3-5lbs) for long life (but low traction)...lol

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The VIN label for my '08 R6S says 42 front and rear IIRC.
I believe the suspension responds better at those pressures, versus the high thirties I was using before.
Suspect higher pressure may be beneficial for preventing headshake.

As a general rule, higher pressures mean improved responsiveness, less tire wear, less traction.
Lower pressures generally mean increased traction, more wear, less responsiveness, increased potential for failure.

·
260 Posts
Hello everyone,
pressures are directly related to the type of riding youre doing.
And which Dunlops you're running. The GP-As are 31 front and 21 rear, cold.

·
My R6 eats chicken.
22 Posts
Hello everyone,
You have the tire model listed in the manual correct? I run the manual specs and it feels right. Trust yamaha engineers (the manual) vs some guys opinion on the internet.

Manual states for 2017+ models:

Attachments

·
4,809 Posts
You have the tire model listed in the manual correct? I run the manual specs and it feels right. Trust yamaha engineers (the manual) vs some guys opinion on the internet.

Manual states for 2017+ models:
So your opinion counts for what? What is this magical "feel" that some engineers at Yamaha came up with?
You realize that Yamaha doesnt have tire engineers on staff so they sub the work out to a tire OEM like Dunlop or Bridgestone or Pirelli, etc.

I would bet the farm anyone racing on a club level does not read the owners manual or use those pressures...lol

·
My R6 eats chicken.
22 Posts
So your opinion counts for what? What is this magical "feel" that some engineers at Yamaha came up with?
You realize that Yamaha doesnt have tire engineers on staff so they sub the work out to a tire OEM like Dunlop or Bridgestone or Pirelli, etc.

I would bet the farm anyone racing on a club level does not read the owners manual or use those pressures...lol
it only took what like couple hours for some guy on the internet to get toxic over someone recommending to follow the manual.. trust this guys opinion op (jk).. he races at club level :lmao

·
4,809 Posts
it only took what like couple hours for some guy on the internet to get toxic over someone recommending to follow the manual.. trust this guys opinion op (jk).. he races at club level :lmao
toxic... fella you just branded yourself completely silly. Where did you read in my post anything about me?? You apparently read on a 6th grade level... probably ride on a first grade one. :fact You should keep reading your owners manual...

Also I gave you insightful info to ponder since you think OEM engineers stand around in lab coats and clip boards determining tire pressures for stock garbage tires designed for street going squids who probably dont own a pressure gauge let alone know how to bench mark one. Skip to the last page of your owners manual where it has the disclaimer from Yamaha Motors.

This thread is hilarious. Next youre going to surmiss that any authorized Yamaha dealer is the tip of the spear for keeping your bike in tip top shape...lol

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
63 Posts
Old thread... I'm running 36F. 42R. D214s. At 5100 miles in under 8 weeks the rear is on the wear bars already. D214s kinda suck for mileage eh? Not going to rain in Cali before I tear this one off and go BT-023.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Optimal tire pressure is going to vary based on the tires you choose, where you ride, ambient temperature, and how aggressive you ride. A good rule of thumb is that you want ~20% increase in rear tire pressure and ~10% increase in front tire pressure once the tires are hot.

I know of no club racers who follow the manual's recommendation..... but riding at that level generally requires different compounds than you find mounted to the bike on the show room floor. Dunlop slicks are usually run around 21/31 rear/front depending on the compound. Run 21 PSI on a Q3 rear and it's not going to work very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. Pressures depend on riding style. Commuting? Canyon Carving? etc. Pressures listed by manufacturer are based also on liability issues.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
63 Posts
I blew out my stock dinlop 214 at 6300 miles. Got a march 2019 made bridgestone s22 at 40psi. After 300 miles wear is good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts