Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
probing the Red/black i am getting 8.7 volts (run switch off) and when the run switch is on i get 12.9 volts, the red/wire
that goes into starter cut off relay..i have marked it in blue i am getting those readings

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The three white/blue run between the starter, starter switch, ECU and cut-off module. I'm not sure how the ECU uses that signal. Perhaps to sense when it should be trying to start the engine?

For a second gen, the instructions for diag mode have us unplug the fuel pump before going into diag mode. If you unplugged it, plug it back in. Memory serving, the pump should run continuously when the kill switch is flipped on.

===

I hadn't noticed that green/yellow is reused in a different circuit. As mentioned prior, it carries 12v from the fan relay to the ECU. The ECU grounds the 12v when it wants to activate that relay. A different and unrelated green/yellow is used with the lighting circuits.

===

Blue/Yellow according to my diagram, carries 12v from the ignition (when on) to the starter cut-off module and clutch switch. The clutch switch when closed, carries 12v back to the starter cut-off module and ECU via black/yellow.

Green/Yellow from the ECU (not Fan Relay) would be grounded whenever the ECU wanted to kick-on the fans.

===

Connecting to blue/yellow from ignition to green/yellow from ECU would have no impact per circuit diagram.
FUEL PUMP:
The fuel pump has only a green/white (sensor or coil) and red/blue wire (motor) feeding it. The relay powering that red/blue is embedded in the starter cut-off module. That part of the module is powered via red wire from the injector fuse. Ignition on, I'd probe that red wire for 12v, then probe the red/blue for 12v. (note: 2nd Gen constantly runs fuel pump in diagnostic mode)

The green/white wire runs from the pump to the dash cluster; possibly for the fuel level warning light.
So did your red wire read 12v? Did the red/blue read 12v?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I took of my tank and wired mt fuel pump to the battery , it is confirmed working 100%. it shot gas unto the bike , very healthy stream. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What you think about running a dual-fan system on an r6 ? like this one i found on amazon:

It has its own thermosat and relay , so i would just bypass the r6 ecu . seeing its not sending any signal to the built-in relay system of my bike. it activates the fans at
185 On 165 Off

what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I still haven't read anything about whether you're able to read ground at the ECU where that Green/Yellow wire plugs into it. (would have to be in diagnostic mode where it breifly activates the fan, five times when the kill switch is operated)

How do you intend to mount it? The OEM coolant temperature sensor will need to remain unmolested as it feeds data to the ECU and that's used for more than just the fan. It will have to be mounted via hose; which means you'll need to purchase a "metal block" that the thermostat can thread into. A hose would be cut and the "block" inserted inline with the hose.

Normal de/activation temps are 210/212. Since it is mounted via hose the temperature won't be as precise, so the lower activation temp will be better; albeit still way lower than it would need to be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just did it ,the test, results :

No ground is coming from the yellow/green wire when on D51 diagnostics mode
D51 doesn't activate the fans with kill switch OFF/On and i am NOT getting a ground signal , i even tried using another fan relay , still no go.
Both fans are functioning OK, as i wired them to the battery for testing both working fine.
---
the amazon aftermarket fan thermostat has to be mounted inside the engine block ?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Are you AT the ECU or just testing the wire? Transistor is fried then. Wondering what else may be "broke" on that ECU. Hopefully you're not adding a workaround for the fan issue, only to find that you need an ECU anyway because it won't start.

You'll need a different diameter on the hose ends, but something like this is an example of what I had in mind...
https://www.amazon.com/Legines-Brass-Fitting-Nipple-Length/dp/B0747KXQYC/
https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-Fitting-Barstock-Female/dp/B000BODVGK/

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
am at the ECU , i know the ECU wasnt throwing a ground to the fan relay before all of this , as the previous owner told me why they rigged up the fan like that.. i pulled apart the fuel pump relay and something inside got burnt , you know that smell you get when something electrical is fried ..so fingers crossed , i dont have to buy a ecu to get the bike started .. i am thinking am just gonna hook up a manual fan switch that could control fan A & Fan B (left &right).t

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a manual switch. But forget to activate it, may cost you an engine. Best to have the switch and the automated activation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
okay i understand , whats the best /cleanest way to wire in a switch without cutting too much into my wire harness , seeing i just got this new one on the bike ??? where and which wires should i cut /splice into ?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
BTW, while it may certainly be fun to do all this... I mean, it's educational and fulfills some playful curiosities... it's much more simple to just get another ECU. The part number for the ECU is stamped on the casing. I'm not sure that there's an easy way to determine whether or not it's been flashed from stock programming. In that regard, it may be worth looking up someone or something that can simply flash it back to stock; regardless of the fact that it may already be stock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Got the switches and the wires am gonna use , but lastly, is it possible to control fan A and fan B , with a toggle switch ,.. i wouldnt want both fans to come at when i flick the switch ON , or would i need two different switches to control them independently ?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
If one relay controls both fans, you'll have to add another relay for the second switch. But the ECU would still only be capable of operating one relay; so you''ll have to have both relays wired to the same ECU pin, in addition to your switches.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So how does the green/yellow wire (ground) tells the relay to only turn on one fan first then the other , am looking at wiring diagram and the relay and dont understand how that works.. i know on the r6 , one of the fans comes on first then the other ... i have 3 of the same fan relays and 2 3-way switches

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Checking the red wire coming out the 13pin relay coupler -red wire i get 12.9 volts
checking the red/blue wire i get 0.3 volts ..is that correct and what does that say..I got a new relay unit and the bike still wont start, it cranks , but the fuel pump is not coming on , when i flip the run switch

21 - 37 of 37 Posts