Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really interested in purchasing myself an old school Yamaha R6, especially the "S" version. So I found myself an excellent buy from a well known dealer that is known for their excellent service and quality bikes, they offer a 2 year warranty, a full service and inspection of the bike and they guarantee it is accident free and they also install brand new tires and even include free shipping and do the licensing all for an extra $400 dollars or so. I would just like to know if this bike that they are selling is a 2006 or a 2005. I've heard that the 2005 was the only model that came out with inverted forks in this version and the radial mounted brakes.

According to the dealership this is an 06 model. Perhaps the bike was bought in late December of 2005 and was registered as a 2006 model? Or did the 2006 models also come out with inverted forks and radial brakes or is this a modded motorcycle with custom work done on it to have all the features of the 05 model?

I'm getting confused because I saw a youtube video of a guy with a 2006 R6S that had inverted forks but then I saw another one with a guy that had the standard upright forks.

Can anybody confirm that 2006 models also came with inverted forks and radial brakes? I did receive a vin number and tried to check the year according to the 10th character but it was just a bunch of zeroes around the 10th character which doesn't make sense.

vehicle-details

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Intuit I'll have to try ask the dealer for the number on the forks. Hopefully they can find it and give it to me.
@yamahacrazy Most definitely. I also saw that, I couldn't find any R6S's in a 2006 model with upside down gold forks and with radial mounted brakes. Weird stuff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I asked the dealer about the VIN number and why there were only zeroes where the 10th character is. Apparently all the South African R6S's are just like that for some reason. Different regulations when they imported the bikes.
@Intuit This seems to be the closest I can get to the way the forks look on that Yamaha for a 2006 model. https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045b0bf8700209bc793f99/front-fork

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,840 Posts
That is an 05 model. Some countries register bikes based on the date first sold, but it is definitly an 05. The 06 R6S had the same forks as the 2004 R6. And, no they aren't 06 R6 forks installed on an R6S. The 3rd gen R6 forks had high and low speed compression adjustments and were on a little canister in front of the caliper.

EDIT: Oh, and some markets did get gold forks....the US did not. Type in a Google search for "2005 R6 Red" and you will see some images that show the gold forks. Most of them are in UK, or Australia, or other countries. It wouldn't surprise me if SA got some with gold ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@8Ball Thank you for confirming. I was doing some research and I was still convinced that it was an 05 registered as and 06 and it seems so. What do you think about the gold coloured forks though? yamahacrazy says that he has never seen the 05 come with gold forks. Are they possibly aftermarket?

EDIT: Great, that really eases my mind to know that this is going to be a good buy and hasn't had weird stuff done to it. Seems like I will have quite a unique 2005 R6S. Good to have people like you that know their stuff.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@8Ball Thank you for confirming. I was doing some research and I was still convinced that it was an 05 registered as and 06 and it seems so. What do you think about the gold coloured forks though? yamahacrazy says that he has never seen the 05 come with gold forks. Are they possibly aftermarket?

EDIT: Great, that really eases my mind to know that this is going to be a good buy and hasn't had weird stuff done to it. Seems like I will have quite a unique 2005 R6S. Good to have people like you that know their stuff.

Lots of them with gold coloured forks over here in the uk pal, don’t worry about it, they look very cool...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Lots of them with gold coloured forks over here in the uk pal, don’t worry about it, they look very cool...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it explains why I've never seen one being from the usa. at worst I thought someone swapped the black ones out for gold ones from a 3rd gen. which isn't a bad thing. just different colors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts