Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past year, my bike rides fine. handles nicely on low speed and high speed. all of a sudden my bike rides funny. as in the turning. especially at low speed. the bike will not let me turn as well. at high speed. its hard to really lean.

I try messing around with the suspension settings. doing it one by one until i get it right but still. before my bike would be able to go into a lean at low and high speed no problem. it would be stiff and balanced and i wouldnt be afraid that im gonna fall. now i feel like it wobbles everytime i turn. I checked tire pressure. i checked everything . my last thign to do is just go to a shop. but before i do that, i want opinions on the forum!

I dont see anything out of the ordinary on the forks themselves. My bike also leans a little differently in a turn. Instead of leaning and keeping the handlebars relatively straight, now when i lean the handlebars have a tendency to pull in the direction of the turn. What else could it be?

and No. bike has not been down or crashed.

thanks

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
How many miles are on your tires?

What have you done to your bike recently? steering stem bearing tightening? add a damper?

Year/make?

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
How do your tires look?

If you are saying it was fine before and now acts weird and the bike has never been down or crashed I don't get why you are saying it's a bent fork.. Something has to bend the fork..

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Loosen your steering head bolt (36mm beast on top of the triple tree) a little. A lot of people over-tighten that thing (I did it once too) and that makes things feel REALLY awkward.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
1. if you've never been down before, chances are your forks are fine..
2. Tires has flat spots? maybe it's time to replace them bad boys
3. trying putting your suspension back to stock
4. Maybe your self confidence sucks

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
1. if you've never been down before, chances are your forks are fine..
2. Tires has flat spots? maybe it's time to replace them bad boys
3. trying putting your suspension back to stock
4. Maybe your self confidence sucks

You look fat when you cry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Year is 2007 R6s

I bought it when it was 5k miles, and not its about 8k

I guess that could be the reason. Tires are still the original gay stock tires.

I was planning on replacing them anyways. any suggestions on tires? any good ones?

I will try to loosen up the head bolt as well. thanks for the suggestion.

And Will set it back to stock. Should the owners manual tell me the stock settings?

And No I do have self confidence. just not enough =P

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Lets clarify some more.

1. At first the bike doesn't want to turn, and then it falls into the turn once forced over.

2. The bike doesn't seem to hold a line during a turn or it wallows around aimlessly.

3. The bike has never been down and the tires are old.

4. The bike has not had any major servicing done to it.

Here is my assessment.

1. Time for new tires. That will help with the hard to turn at first part.

2. It is time to have the steering head nut adjusted. they don't get tighter with time they usually get looser. You have to remove the upper triple clamp to get to the steering head bearing nuts. They are the two nuts separated by a rubber ring. Tighten those to stock specs and replace the upper triple clamp.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
yeahh unfortunately..

but yeh once again. thanks alot guys. great help and so quick

Wait, so your tires were showing wires and you didn't immediately see this as a problem?

:eek5

·
Registered
327 Posts
change those tires bro...i had 6k on my stock tires and i was worried about driving it to the gas station...
Ha, my pilot powers have over 11k on them and are showing no cords. They are however just about out of tread in the center and over due for replacement.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
NO ...NO wires are showing..i just meant, its been 8k and its not changed yet. if tires were shown..i wouldve def noticed.
Ok... I was gonna say... :wtf

Ha, my pilot powers have over 11k on them and are showing no cords. They are however just about out of tread in the center and over due for replacement.
Yeah, 95% of Iowa sucks like that... :laugh

1 - 20 of 31 Posts