Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read a lot of the threads on this topic and am very confused. This is normal? I have not heard the sound when someone else is riding my bike, but this def does not sound like its tuned and sounds like its falling apart. Someone described this noise as "tin can is rattling" and this gets louder and louder and more rachety as the revs go higher up. If i put load on the motor and start slowing down its very very noticable. This just started and i could swear it wasnt like that before. Is this the way the motor will sound from now on? Does this get better? Im not sure why this sounds like this. My acura integra with headers had this sound and my 07 RX8 had this sound when reved to 9k. Seems like this is normal on more then just bikes...i personaly think it sounds like garbage though...anyone else been able to figure out if this is a problem or somthing that i will have to deal with? i am afraid to ride the bike normally because I cant tell if its breaking or going to break..

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
It could be pre-detonation. Are you running the highest octane fuel available in your area?

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
can you post a sound clip?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
people told me to get a louder exhaust if it bothers you that much. although, i gotta admit, mine isn't THAT loud; just loud enough to notice at the lower RPMs. maybe you DO have something wrong. take it to a dealer and get one of the greasers to listen and tell you what he/she thinks. if it's normal, he'll tell you. if not, at least you know it aint the "tick".

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing about that is they want to make money...they will say oh yea it could be this and that and then say the typical "we have to look at it and its costs $$$"... 600 miles if there is somthing wrong with this bike then its the biggest POS ever made and not worth a penny i paid for it..im getting the oil change on it today and if doesnt get better..then i will be selling this thing asap and getting a different bike..

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
from what you wrote it sounds normal.i switched to synthetic and it got a bit more quiet.if it is the tick it isnt going to hurt anything.post sound clip if possible.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be pre-detonation. Are you running the highest octane fuel available in your area?
This is exactly what people were telling me about my integra...and i took it in to dealership and they told me oh yea it needs a vavle adjustment to fix the problem...and i did that and the car never ran the same...it started efiing backfiring at certain times...i got fed up after 1 month and sold it and got an rsxtype s which had no issues at all....Only other car that sounds like my bike is the RX8 and instantly got rid of it once the noise started...im dont understand why everytime i buy a product this [email protected] happens....

My buddies 07 gixxer and 07 ninja do not make this noise...they are so crisp...how is it that the yamaha has some ticking or whatever it is and the other bikes dont? It really sounds like tin cans rattling and tiny metal pebbples bouncing around and getting louder and louder until a certain RPM where the whole bike just gets so loud that it drains that noise out...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from what you wrote it sounds normal.i switched to synthetic and it got a bit more quiet.if it is the tick it isnt going to hurt anything.post sound clip if possible.

can u explain to me what this tick sounds like? when you start reving the bike while in gear and accelarting...does it sound like this

tttkktkkkttkttktkkkktktkkkttktktttkkkktttttttkkkkk and gets louder and luoder till you finally cant tell wtf is going on cause the bike is super loud?? Also when i give gas in second and then just let go of the throttle..this noise is very apparent and nannoying

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
...My buddies 07 gixxer and 07 ninja do not make this noise...they are so crisp...
then what you hear on your bike isn't the "yamatick". b/c they call the same sound on the kawisaki the "kawitick". my buddy's got a 10, and another one has the 6. BOTH have the same ticking that i hear on mine, and all my other buddys' R6's. if it's still under warranty than it won't cost you a dime. don't toss the best track bike ever b/c of something you're not willing to try to get fixed/re-tuned. :nono

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
can u explain to me what this tick sounds like? when you start reving the bike while in gear and accelarting...does it sound like this

tttkktkkkttkttktkkkktktkkkttktktttkkkktttttttkkkkk and gets louder and luoder till you finally cant tell wtf is going on cause the bike is super loud?? Also when i give gas in second and then just let go of the throttle..this noise is very apparent and nannoying
going off your tttkktkkkttkttktkkkktktkkkttktktttkkkktttttttkkkkk,its hard to tell.try changing your oil,maybe to synthetic if you like and see if this helps.i think the oil change will help alot.i am running amsoil 10w40 mcf.just make sure you run a good brand oil. let me know

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im really frustrated...from my point of view, living in chicago where we get [email protected] weather and thunderstorms for half the summer..to have a brand new bike be in the shop where the typical turn around is 10-15 days is pathetic..meanwhile im sitting making payments on it...I should not have to take my bike into the shop as its brands effing new...Maybe the noise im hearing is normal...but i do know that a couple weeks ago it was not there and as soon as i hit 550 miles it just started...i will see if they will maybe listen to it. I do hear a ticking noise when the bike is idle and it may be that noise getting distorted as the revs get higher which makes sense...i dont know...i just dont want to deal with it at 600 miles..u see my point?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
going off your tttkktkkkttkttktkkkktktkkkttktktttkkkktttttttkkkkk,its hard to tell.try changing your oil,maybe to synthetic if you like and see if this helps.i think the oil change will help alot.i am running amsoil 10w40 mcf.just make sure you run a good brand oil. let me know
Ok, i will keep you posted...i will ask this place what oil they use...Maybe my oil is just dirty cause i never had a an oil change..who knows man!!!!

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
Im really frustrated...from my point of view, living in chicago where we get [email protected] weather and thunderstorms for half the summer..to have a brand new bike be in the shop where the typical turn around is 10-15 days is pathetic..meanwhile im sitting making payments on it...I should not have to take my bike into the shop as its brands effing new...Maybe the noise im hearing is normal...but i do know that a couple weeks ago it was not there and as soon as i hit 550 miles it just started...i will see if they will maybe listen to it. I do hear a ticking noise when the bike is idle and it may be that noise getting distorted as the revs get higher which makes sense...i dont know...i just dont want to deal with it at 600 miles..u see my point?
i see your point but you are do for an oil change.get it done then let us know how it sounds.

·
1,834 Posts
The thing about that is they want to make money...they will say oh yea it could be this and that and then say the typical "we have to look at it and its costs $$$"... 600 miles if there is somthing wrong with this bike then its the biggest POS ever made and not worth a penny i paid for it..im getting the oil change on it today and if doesnt get better..then i will be selling this thing asap and getting a different bike..
You should have read the manual under your seat...It could have been the hard engine break in method you used.

Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It could have been the hard engine break in method you used.

Ride safe everyone!

The manual? you mean the manual that came with the bike? yes i read it and it does not say anywhere in there that at 600 miles my bike is going to have ticking noises and cans rattling out of it...i broke the bike in in a semi aggressive fashion...im not a pro rider and this is my first bike..so put two and two together on how aggressive that could possibly be...600 miles..im going to get the oil changed...so what exactly do u mean i did not read the book? You shoul dbe used to these wierd noises with a FORD logo..

·
1,834 Posts
I know you didn't read the book because in your other thread where you admitted to redlining a brand new engine multiple times you asked what the manual said about proper engine break in.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
The manual? you mean the manual that came with the bike? yes i read it and it does not say anywhere in there that at 600 miles my bike is going to have ticking noises and cans rattling out of it...i broke the bike in in a semi aggressive fashion...im not a pro rider and this is my first bike..so put two and two together on how aggressive that could possibly be...600 miles..im going to get the oil changed...so what exactly do u mean i did not read the book? You shoul dbe used to these wierd noises with a FORD logo..
look out now.lots of ford lovers on the forum.i am one of them. lol

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Mine has it, it's normal, I know what you are talkin about. Everything's good man, dont get so bent outa shape...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read it yesterday...and redlining an engine a few times can cause a wierd noise? What kind of cheap efing engine does yamaha make? Dude seriously listen to what ur saying...engine break in is for long term ...i have 600 miles man..you cant have these issues at that low of miles..yamaha freaking redlines their motors to test them..seirusly listen to what ur saying..im jsut a noob with bikes so i have nothing to compare to...maybe this is the way the yamaha sounds...but by no means is this a good sound...

·
1,834 Posts
The yamatick is not very loud but it is there. If your engine sounds like someone is shaking a pop can with pennies in it, then there may be something wrong. Change the oil, and check and adjust the valves. . .It is not *that* uncommon for a newly broken in engine to need the valves adjusted back to tolerance.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts