Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Riding To Be Free
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 r6s that i bought in 08. I have been going to my local yamaha dealership and using the Full Sythentic Yamalube 15w-50 and OEM filter every season.

I have been reading many of the threads on here and haven't seen anyone really using the same. Our riding weather in Cleveland, OH is mainly around 40F-90F

Im just tired of paying $13 a QT for yamalube. Unless thats the average cost for any oil.

Any recommendations, or stick with yamalube. I just thought the weight being 15w-50 was weird since everyone seems to be using 10w-40, and manual recommends either 10w-30 or 20w40. But i also figured if yamaha makes their own oil then they know the best weight to use for their bikes.

Thanks guys, im looking to do my oil cahnge in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
any additional information...i'm also using yamaha oil filter and oil. I don't ride that often and the last oil change was in Oct 10 and put under 1000 miles on it since then. Should I consider changing oil? Thnx..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same question Andy. My dealer said the Yamalube 15W 50 was the best, but you are the only other person that I have seen that is using it.

·
Box Boy @ Woodcraft
802 Posts
i used the dealer ONCE, i hated it. their filters arent that great either.

i switched over to Mobil 1 Racing 4T and a Fram Motorcycle filter. its been good to me so far - 5 oil changes and counting. people will have different opinions on it whether they use Amsoil, Mobil 1 or Motul. its preference.

most of my friends use Motul, but i like Mobil 1 so give it a shot. you can find them in most auto stores. i bought 4 quarts and a fram filter for 39.99+tax the other day.

·
Riding To Be Free
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I haven't really gotten any answers I decided to try amsoil. Bob the rep got me a deal. I changed my plugs, coolant, and air filter. Noticed my plugs where pretty dark looking. Wouldn't say toast. I'll see how it rides this season with the amsoil.

Sure it doesn't make a big difference but I saved 10 bucks on oil doing amsoil compared to yamalube

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
15W-50 is for high heat, over 95 ambient, and/or extended high speed driving, (over 1 hr).

Some of the draw backs to a higher viscosity than necessary oil can be: Lack of lubrication at cold start, less HP, less MPG and shifting problems.

A Dealer or mechanic are rarely the place to go to ask about oils and filters.

A Fram filter is not a very good filter, more like the bottom of the barrel.

If you don't want to buy an AMSOIL filter, which are the best filter available, I would go with a WIX 31538

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
vroom vroom?
25 Posts
hey bob, can I use JB engine tune up in my bike? I was thinking that it would be a good place to start (before tearing it down to the cams), But then I remembered the wet clutch... cuz it sounds like there are a bunch of marbles rattling around under my tank at idle... goes away once I increase engine speed though.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
hey bob, can I use JB engine tune up in my bike? I was thinking that it would be a good place to start (before tearing it down to the cams), But then I remembered the wet clutch... cuz it sounds like there are a bunch of marbles rattling around under my tank at idle... goes away once I increase engine speed though.
I sure wouldn't if you want your clutch to live.

Try a good quality 20W-50 Motorcycle oil until you are ready to tear it down.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
vroom vroom?
25 Posts
I sure wouldn't if you want your clutch to live.

Try a good quality 20W-50 Motorcycle oil until you are ready to tear it down.

Bob
Thanks for the quick reply and great advice you saved me a lot of time.

I've been doing some research and it's leading me to believe it's the cam chain tensioner. Only way to know for sure is once rip it apart, and by then I might as well check all the valves. I've got a long two days ahead of me haha.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I hope it is nothing serious

If you are doing the work anyway, use a 10W-40 Motorcycle specific oil when you are done.

A 50 weight can cause lack of lubrication, especially when engine is cold, loss of HP and lower fuel mileage.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
vroom vroom?
25 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Because the bike always had the rattle as long I had it. But I didn't really take NOTICE of the noise until i switched to 15w-50. It always went away with increasing rpm's so I never thought much of it.

I was tempted to just do the oil change and see how that affects it but now I know a lot more about this engine, and I've got the time and tools so I'm just going to have at it, and pray I don't find anything horrible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts