Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Me: 1 Guardrail: 0
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you feel like fixing it up? Get it inspected if you want it first. Usually not worth the hassle though.

2 grand

Sent from my RAPCON
I'm only worried about the forks honestly. Not sure what exactly he means in the ad..

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
How bad is the cosmetic damage? Are all of those pics before the wreck? Check it out in person. If that is all that is wrong with it then it might be worth haggling the price a little.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I would also be skeptical about the forks only being twisted in the clamps. If it hit something hard enough to bend the rotor, I'd be concerned that the forks and triple clamps may also be bent. You can't always tell by looking at it while it's on the bike (at least I can't). You really need to pull everything apart and measure.

That said... you can usually find a straight used front end for like $200-300. If you can talk him down, and you're prepared to put some work / money into the bike, it might not be bad.

·
Errybody Dougie
2,671 Posts
There was an 07 S here selling for 3500 laid down but only cosmetic. You'd have to fix the brakes and the forks AT LEAST. There's always more than meets the eye.

Sent from my RAPCON

·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pictures are post-wreck. If you look close you can see the front above the headlight is cracked. I'd need to take it somewhere to have the forks inspected. That's just too sketchy to buy without having it looked at good.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
I'm only worried about the forks honestly. Not sure what exactly he means in the ad..

Yea, I'm not sure how you twist a fork either. I guess the top could've twisted in the triple tree. Don't know how that would have happened or why it would be a problem though.

·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I'm not sure how you twist a fork either. I guess the top could've twisted in the triple tree. Don't know how that would have happened or why it would be a problem though.
I can't even tell in the pics that the brake disk is bent... I need to ask what he hit or did.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,844 Posts
The forks are bent, not twisted. It doesn't work like that. More than likely, the lower triple tree is tweaked, as well.

·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Idk, do you want a wrecked bike?

Sent from my RAPCON
Just depends on the conditions... If the forks are seriously jacked then heck no. That's nothing but trouble and worth about $1k to me

·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It depends on what you want to put into it. It would be a good time for an 05 front end swap if you picked it up though.
Just swap the forks and wheels ? Why you say a good time for one ?

·
Errybody Dougie
2,671 Posts
Just swap the forks and wheels ? Why you say a good time for one ?

05 was the pinnacle of the 2nd gen. Has inverted forks, which is a more track oriented set up. Other differences as well but that's the biggest difference.

Edit: since you're already taking the forks off, it'd be a good time to upgrade.
Sent from my RAPCON

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,844 Posts
Soooo pass on it ?

You just need to know up front that the forks and triples will need to be replaced. You might be able to get the tubes straightened, but it would weaken the area, and for me, would always be in the back of my mind.

IMO, He's asking too much for it with that in mind.

·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
05 was the pinnacle of the 2nd gen. Has inverted forks, which is a more track oriented set up. Other differences as well but that's the biggest difference.

Edit: since you're already taking the forks off, it'd be a good time to upgrade.
Sent from my RAPCON
Hmmm guess I'll have to search the forums for some forks then and get a price..

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
If you have to replace the forks you might as well search for an 05 front end. I think you'll need the forks, master cylinder, calipers and triple trees, and a fender (and I'm probably missing some things) The 05's had inverted forks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts