Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I even got the number I wanted :toocool:
1st Race weekend in May at Jennings, now to get the bike all ready for WERA tech. Anyone have any pointers on what I should pay close attention to that tech will be looking for?

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Bitchin!

:cheers

·
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congrats!!! I'm right there with you - I just got mine also :D I didn't get my ## though; not even my 2nd or 3rd option. Instead I got option 1 but with a 1 in front of it - 127 -- I'm happy with that.

I plan on joining for Barber in May in 4 weeks; but in 2 weeks I'll be there for a track weekend for some good practice. No tips for tech, but I hope to get mine wired up within a week and have it inspected by a local racer and see if he catches something I missed.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
I'm Jelly

·
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats!!! I'm right there with you - I just got mine also :D I didn't get my ## though; not even my 2nd or 3rd option. Instead I got option 1 but with a 1 in front of it - 127 -- I'm happy with that.

I plan on joining for Barber in May in 4 weeks; but in 2 weeks I'll be there for a track weekend for some good practice. No tips for tech, but I hope to get mine wired up within a week and have it inspected by a local racer and see if he catches something I missed.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Thanks, back at ya!

I'm Jelly
Never thought I would be doing it, but the feeling I get when I'm on the track reminds me of when I raced dirt track when I was a kid...... Can't shake that competitiveness, even at my age.....

Hope you have a good job :laugh
Too old to do anything serious, but this should be WAY more satisfying then regular track days for sure.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
if you live in Daytona.. why in the HELL would you race wera ?? You can race a FULL season in CCS FL region. AND you get to race on the high banks of Daytona international Speedway in the Fall with CCS. Homestead, Palm Beach, JenningsGP, Roebling road (GA) and Daytona. All within reasonable driving distance of your house. wera is a fine race org, but god damn you are gonna do some DRIVING son..

·
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you live in Daytona.. why in the HELL would you race wera ?? You can race a FULL season in CCS FL region. AND you get to race on the high banks of Daytona international Speedway in the Fall with CCS. Homestead, Palm Beach, JenningsGP, Roebling road (GA) and Daytona. All within reasonable driving distance of your house. wera is a fine race org, but god damn you are gonna do some DRIVING son..
Race school at Jennings was given by them. Have to do 2 provisional novice races with them, then I can get a CCS license. Figured on doing 1st weekend at Jennings in May & 2nd at Roebling in July. Shooting for CCS at Daytona in Oct. :flex:

^^ :laugh

Congrats!
Thanks Bro!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Race school at Jennings was given by them. Have to do 2 provisional novice races with them, then I can get a CCS license. Figured on doing 1st weekend at Jennings in May & 2nd at Roebling in July. Shooting for CCS at Daytona in Oct. :flex:

Thanks Bro!
you can get a ccs license at any given ccs roadrace weekend.. there are usually 2 or at least 1 license/instructor that will give you a CCS license. And I will get to watch ya ride a few laps. i have to follow a student for the license to give my thumbs up/thumbs down.. open to small cash bribes :)
Yes, ccs returns to RRR in July. We are at Homestead May 4th weekend.

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
For WERA tech, make sure you don't spring clip your drain plug. I safety wired my bike from start to finish and that was the only thing I got hit for. A quick 2 minute fix to safety wire it with no spring clip and I was on my way. I put some RTV on the banjo bolts on the brake lines, since you can't drill the flush mount heads to safety wire. I wired a lot of shit, including that big ass oil cooler nut that sits behind the headers.

Good luck with the WERA thing. I just got my official novice license in the mail, already completed my two race requirement. It's a blast! There's some fast mo fo's in "novice"...you'll see! Some of them fools were putting down faster times than some experts...

·
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you can get a ccs license at any given ccs roadrace weekend.. there are usually 2 or at least 1 license/instructor that will give you a CCS license. And I will get to watch ya ride a few laps. i have to follow a student for the license to give my thumbs up/thumbs down.. open to small cash bribes :)
Yes, ccs returns to RRR in July. We are at Homestead May 4th weekend.
Did not know this, I'll have to look into it now. Thanks brotha.

For WERA tech, make sure you don't spring clip your drain plug. I safety wired my bike from start to finish and that was the only thing I got hit for. A quick 2 minute fix to safety wire it with no spring clip and I was on my way. I put some RTV on the banjo bolts on the brake lines, since you can't drill the flush mount heads to safety wire. I wired a lot of shit, including that big ass oil cooler nut that sits behind the headers.

Good luck with the WERA thing. I just got my official novice license in the mail, already completed my two race requirement. It's a blast! There's some fast mo fo's in "novice"...you'll see! Some of them fools were putting down faster times than some experts...
Good to know about the drain plug, I vaguely remember reading that somewhere.

Fast mo fo's in novice are probably racers that let their license expire.... I heard this might happen sometimes.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
a former expert can sometimes petition for an AM license after a 2 year hiatus, but if they were pretty fast in the past it won't be allowed. Track days are breeding some fast new racers, and talent is simply talent. It's there already, especially if they came from a dirt track/mx background. Expert does not always mean "fast".. it means they scored enough points to become expert, even if they only scored em a couple points at a time :)

on safety wire, wera has gotten a bit better ( you used to have to safety wire all the HEADER bolts), so check your rulebooks or post on the forums for those clubs to get more detailed instruction. the oil cooler bolt is a must.

·
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a former expert can sometimes petition for an AM license after a 2 year hiatus, but if they were pretty fast in the past it won't be allowed. Track days are breeding some fast new racers, and talent is simply talent. It's there already, especially if they came from a dirt track/mx background. Expert does not always mean "fast".. it means they scored enough points to become expert, even if they only scored em a couple points at a time :)

on safety wire, wera has gotten a bit better ( you used to have to safety wire all the HEADER bolts), so check your rulebooks or post on the forums for those clubs to get more detailed instruction. the oil cooler bolt is a must.
Cool, will do. I was puzzled when I saw the header bolts had to be wired, but I;ll still check the WERA forum to be sure. All I have left is the oil cooler and drain plug to wire. Knocked everything else out yesterday, 17 drill bits later........ :(

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
Cool, will do. I was puzzled when I saw the header bolts had to be wired, but I;ll still check the WERA forum to be sure. All I have left is the oil cooler and drain plug to wire. Knocked everything else out yesterday, 17 drill bits later........ :(
It's indeed an ass pain and I look forward to not having to safety wire anything for quite some time. :lmao

1 - 18 of 18 Posts