Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm am looking to purchase an R6 and want to know what the diffs are in the years. Is there a big diff btween a 99 and 02?

·
Registered
69 Posts
yeah i wouldn't mind findin out the differences too!!
also with a 98 if possible!

all i know that is different is the price and age
but i don't know much about the r6.........yet!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Theres no real differences between the 99 and 02 besides mainly cosmetics, a bit of fine tuning & slight reduction in weight.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i think all you really need to know is the newer the bike the better it will be. There are less bugs with each model and more perfections with each newer model. or put it this way, what ever problems poped up the year before yamaha has fixed it

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The 99-02 R6's are pretty much identical in design. A few slight changes between them, but nothing big. The 01-02 tails look better to me and the 99-00 can be fitted with those tails which is cool.

but all the 99-02's had second gear issues, they just redesigned the tranny for '03 and '04 finally. '03's also have by far the most changes, about the only thing common with the '03s and older models is the bore and stroke.

·
Registered
69 Posts
thanks for the info redline it will help me with my purchase some time this year!

i will probly get 99-01 so what is this 2nd gear problem is it easierly fixed??? or is it costly?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You'll either get the problem or not. Most happen around the 10,000+ mileage area. It is determined a manufactured fault cause it happens to guys that ride on the track and happens to pussies that ride like one also, so abuse is kind of ruled out.

It's actually not "too bad" to fix if you are somewhat mechanical etc.. but it can be frustrating and time consuming for a noob. Cost if you do it, you'll be looking anywhere from 300 to 800 roughly depending on how many gears go. A dealer, you're looking at atleast $1000 to $1500. Just find a buddy who knows how to wrench, buy a shop manual, and give him a $100 or so to do it.......this works for alot of guys.

I wouldn't worry about it, or let it stop you from buying a bike. Just look and pic a bike like you would any other one. Look to see that it has been taken care of etc you know.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
R6_80922 said:
Didn't they make them in 02 fuel injected? :cheers
R1 was fuel injected in 02

R6 was carburated in 02

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out the link below for visual comparisons of the different years, in US colours.

http://dusty.my-site.me.uk/asite/gallery/hist.php

R_6 said:
SolaceRye said:
Did they even make a '98?

-Solace
Nope, They started in '99.
Althought the model was the 99 model, afaik there were some sold and registered in 98. Much the same as the fact that the 04 bike was available several months ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not to thread jack, but i'm also under the same lines as the other guy.... i'm lookin at a 99 just because i like the silver wheels, but i'm sure that's just something you can change

just a few quick ones...

if i get a 99, can i convert the tail to the 01+ (tail lights) and if so, how hard is it/expensive?

is the gauge cluster different between the years, or all the same?

how much should i really expect to pay for one around the state (California)

and lastly, just to make sure i'm not getting over my head, i'm 21, i've rode dirbikes since i was 18, been on my friend's yzf-600r a dozen times, i want to start with the r6 .... i just really like the weight diff. between the 600r and the stance is a lot nicer....anyway, am i headed in the right direction???

thanks so much guys for all the help, i'm lookin to buy around the end of spring/beginning of summer

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
MX said:
if i get a 99, can i convert the tail to the 01+ (tail lights) and if so, how hard is it/expensive?
yes, look for the parts on eBay, I saw a "how to" on doing this mod somewhere, I think all you need is the undertray, the taillight and maybe a new battery box

MX said:
how much should i really expect to pay for one around the state (California)
dont pay more than 5500

MX said:
and lastly, just to make sure i'm not getting over my head, i'm 21, i've rode dirbikes since i was 18, been on my friend's yzf-600r a dozen times, i want to start with the r6 .... i just really like the weight diff. between the 600r and the stance is a lot nicer....anyway, am i headed in the right direction???
Ask yourself this question: am I STUPID?

If the answer is yes, do not buy an R6 for your first bike

If the answer is no (which I presume it is): An R6 is the best bike to buy as a first bike. As long as you take your time, and do not ride above your ability, and practice a lot before you take it on the street, and be EXTREMELY cautious, you will be fine

just BE CAREFUL

My wife is 5'10" and 110 llbs, never even saw a streetbike or dirtbike before I got my R6, and she rides it just fine.

oh yea did I mehtion...BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts