Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had read that it was possible, but I hadn't tried on my bike until today. I had gone for a nice leisurely ride on a slightly twisty road in this cold weather, and on the way home I decided to find out if the new R6 would power wheelie. It will. I went to a nice, empty straight road and I slowly worked my way up to the power wheelie by running up to redline in first gear a few times, increasing the amount of throttle each time I tried. I didn't pull the front end very far off the ground (maybe 6-12 inches), but I DID lift the front end by JUST using throttle. I still wasn't at WOT by the time I got the front end to come up. I wanted to know exactly where and under what circumstances the front end would come up. I only did it once, just to see if it would come up, but it's too damn cold out to play for too long. When it warms up, I'll experiment some more, but for now I know the front will come up under power alone around 9-10K RPM if you give it enough gas in first gear. No clutch necessary. Oh, and the front end will stay down all the way to redline if you don't open the throttle enough.

EDIT: OK, APPARENTLY PEOPLE AREN'T READING THE REST OF MY POSTS, BECAUSE MOST KEEP TELLING ME HOW TO PULL WHEELIES. SO I'LL ADD THIS HERE: I'M NOT TRYING TO PULL WHEELIES FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF RIDING WHEELIES. I'M TRYING TO LEARN WHERE THE FRONT END WILL COME UP SO THAT I CAN ACTUALLY KEEP IT DOWN IN THE FUTURE. I ENJOY RIDING ON TRACK DAYS, BUT I NEED TO KNOW THE MAXIMUM POWER THAT I CAN APPLY AND STILL KEEP THE FRONT END DOWN. HOWEVER, IN ORDER TO FIND THE MAX RPM AND MAX THROTTLE POSITION I CAN RUN AND STILL KEEP THE FRONT END DOWN, I WILL HAVE TO BRING THE FRONT END UP A FEW TIMES. THAT IS WHY I'M EXPERIMENTING WITH THIS. THIS IS THE FIRST BIKE I'VE OWNED WITH ENOUGH POWER TO LIFT THE FRONT END, BUT IT'S NOT THE FIRST BIKE I'VE EVER OWNED. I DON'T CARE TO PULL ANY STUNTS, I JUST WANT TO GET TO KNOW MY BIKE SO THAT I CAN RIDE WITHIN MY LIMITS AT THE TRACK. I DON'T WANT TO BE SURPRISED OR DISTRACTED BY THE FRONT END COMING UP WHEN I GET ON THE GAS. THEREFORE, I WILL HAVE TO BRING IT UP A FEW TIMES IN ORDER TO KNOW HOW TO KEEP IT DOWN. I WILL NEVER TRY TO CLUTCH UP A WHEELIE, NOR WILL I TRY TO BOUNCE UP A WHEELIE. I'M JUST TRYING TO LEARN THE POWER CURVE OF THE BIKE SO THAT I KNOW HOW TO KEEP THE FRONT END DOWN BUT STILL GET THE MOST ACCELERATION POSSIBLE.

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
You should be careful with power wheelies, everybody has their own opinion on wheelies and here's mine:

When you power wheelie, the bike is standing up while the bike is making lots of power and it won't take much to loop it.

When you clutch it up, you give the bike a burst of power and if you learn to do it right, your power will drop off as you reach the balance point. Plus, with clutching, you can get the bike up at slower speeds and if you fall, it may not hurt as much.

But everybody has their own way and none are more right than the other, so whatever works for you.

:cheers

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I don't plan on pulling or riding wheelies. I've just heard that the stock R6 (at least the 05 model year) will power wheelie and I wanted to know specifics as to when and under what circumstances. I will only be testing it out a little more later just to get to know my bike. I don't enjoy riding wheelies, but I do plan on riding a lot at the track and I want to know under what circumstances the front end comes up. I don't want to exit a slow turn and have the front end come up on me from giving it too much power. I doubt the front will come up in second gear, but I plan on at least testing it, just so I know what my bike will do. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wheelies continue to fascinate riders. There are so many ways to do them, and it all depends on the circumstance as to how you want your front to come up. Power wheelies are dangerous because along with the front end coming up, you are generating a lot of speed! If someone pulls out in front of you, you will be hard pressed to get her stopped in time. You should be able to get the front to launch by getting up to 7 or 7.5 grand and just nailing the throttle. Clutching it up is a decent way, but it will eventually take its toll on your clutch. Bouncing it up is another method that is fairly non damaging, where you just nail the throttle, get off of it (compressing the front end) and nailing the throttle again. Awaaaayyy you go. It is a common myth that 600's will not wheelie easy, because they do. I've had my R6 come up in 2nd when I was not trying to. I do it every now and then, but believe me if you wheelie ALL the time, something is going to break...either your bike, or your bones :hammer

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Darkangel said:
If someone pulls out in front of you, you will be hard pressed to get her stopped in time.
Then don't do wheelies in town. That solves that.

I do all my fucking around on deserted backroads, so you don't ahve to worry about people pulling out in front of you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
:stupic .. i 2nd to taht .. i very rarly ever do a wheelie on main rds ... when i do i just pop it up and put it bak down ( if im the 1st person at the light ) ..

·
Registered
144 Posts
My bike can power wheelie in first gear all the way dpwn to 5k RPM. I get it up around 9 or 10K ,cut the throttle, tach hits 5k, I roll the throttle, front end comes up easy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
maybe i just weight too much..... this sucks man, i tried doing a wheelie the other day couple of times, noting man.........i take it to about 8k first and just pin the throttle, it just stays on the ground and flys like a bullet...... could 175lbs be the problem?

·
Registered
110 Posts
SpeedSen said:
maybe i just weight too much..... this sucks man, i tried doing a wheelie the other day couple of times, noting man.........i take it to about 8k first and just pin the throttle, it just stays on the ground and flys like a bullet...... could 175lbs be the problem?
Maybe try sitting back a little and throttle chop it. A lot of it is timing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If, and only IF, you want to wheelie alot, get a 520 converstion on your bikes.
I just put mine on and it is a totally different bike now!! I mean totally! The power is right there!! No waiting to get to 8 or 10K, you are there as soon as you get off the line!! The front comes up all the way up to 4th gear, my friend said that he could have gone to 5th but... I however, did not do that, my friend that races helped me put the 520 gearing on and he tested it to see how it feels. The weather was 38 degrees, sunny, and a still salt on the road, so he did not juice it to the fullest. But he came back and said OMG, your bike is intoxication now. He has raced since he was 10 and he could say almost nothing and sat down and just smiled. He said when its warm out to really work the bike to see how i like it. We do track days and I wanted to gearing for that. Not for wheelies, but , it comes woth the package. He has a ZX-7R.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
All the R6's will power up in 1st, and I know my 03 will do it in 2nd too. iwant to learn how to wheelie better but my judgement just steps in and keeps me from breaking my bones or my bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
z31maniac said:
Darkangel said:
If someone pulls out in front of you, you will be hard pressed to get her stopped in time.
Then don't do wheelies in town. That solves that.

I do all my fucking around on deserted backroads, so you don't ahve to worry about people pulling out in front of you.
It still isn't 'solved'. No matter where you are, when you power wheelie, you are at a disadvantage. (You are still on the throttle with your front wheel in the air "gaining speed", so you have to get the front tire down before you can apply maximum breaking.) If you are on a ROAD/STREET, there is subject to be cars on it.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
SpeedSen said:
I push 210 with gear on, and can easily get the front up in first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I weigh 205 and my 01 will easily power wheelie in first. I do have an Ivan's jet kit on it. I prefer using the throttle instead of the clutch. I'm chicken to rev, then pop the clutch-too scared the momentum will carry me over. I've found a spot on the seat that allows the bike to come up, but i can lean forward to level it out if it starts gets out of hand.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Wheelies are great, but there are a lot more aspects of riding to conquer. It takes a better rider to get a knee down then to get the front wheel up.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
twistad said:
Wheelies are great, but there are a lot more aspects of riding to conquer. It takes a better rider to get a knee down then to get the front wheel up.
As I said, I'm not trying to ride wheelies, I'm trying to learn where the front end will come up. This is not my first bike, but it's the first bike with enough power to lift the front end off the ground. I've been to the track a few times and I'm on my second set of knee sliders. Granted, I have not had a knee down while riding the R6 because I just bought it last month and I won't be taking it to the track until the second weekend of April. I'm just trying to learn the powerband on this bike so that I know where the front end will come up. I actually would like to keep the front end DOWN, but in order to do that, I have to know where it will come up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts