Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 02 yamaha r6 on Saturday and before i bought it we took it to yamaha to get it checked out. Anyhow everything was great but the mechanic suggested we get a power something..i cant remember what he said but he said after installing the yoshi exhaust you need to remap the air/fuel or something along those lines. The downside of it is if you rev the bike really quick the rpm will dip a litte. The mechanic said its not really a big deal but its just something i should look into. Anyway, thanks for any help

Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
Power Commander. Carborated bikes work better with an aftermarket exhaust if you re-jet the bike. Fuel injected bikes need an adjustment in the fuel map to compensate for the reduce back pressure of the aftermarket exhaust. A Power Commander is basically a computer chip that re-maps the fuel mixture for you.

Have fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ECM, thats what it was. Power Commander. Sorry I wish i wasnt such a dam n00b but everyones got to start somewhere. Im mainly into cars but need something to get me around besides my gas guzzler. The person i bought it from said he had a jet kit on the bike also? Can you elaborate on what a jet kit is and what it does? Sounds like something with the exhaust again. thanks

Mike

·
Registered
886 Posts
kit will improve throttle response, increase horsepower and can help to clean up low end flat spots. i have it on my bike an felt the difference once its installed i have an 02 and its jet kit stage one i dont think you can put a power commander on a carb bike ..

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Jets are little brass fittings in the carb that regulate the fuel and airflow.
The jet has a hole in it, and varies in size. There is a main jet, (fuel flow) pilot jet (regulates air/fuel mix) and a needle jet which is a needle looking thing with a clip on it. That adjusts the amount your slides open/close.

Anyway, for a carborated bike, with a full exhaust system, a jet kit is a must. All it does is compensate for the air fuel differences caused by the exhaust changes, and helps you maximize the horsepower potential from your exhaust system.

Fuel injected bikes need a power commander, which is a computer chip that does the same thing as a jet kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TexasR6 said:
Fuel injected bikes need a power commander, which is a computer chip that does the same thing as a jet kit.
So i understand the jet kit is suppose to compensate for the air fuel differences but i do have the jet kit. The mechanic still mentioned that i should get a power commander so the throttle wont dip when revved up fast. While also reading that power commanders wont work with carb bikes?...so im kind of confused...

Mike

·
Registered
180 Posts
Because your bike is an '02 it's carb'd, Yamaha didn't start with fuel injection on the 600 untill '03.

Fuel injected bikes don't have carbs and carb'd bikes don't use Power Commanders.

Carbs meter the amount of fuel and air that enters the engine. Injectors deliver the fuel on an injected motor, the air is supplied/metered through the throttle bodies.

Hope that helps a little...

:cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
Was your mechanic talking about an ignition advancer ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R6#319 said:
Was your mechanic talking about an ignition advancer ?

Hhhmm...I wonder if the mechanic knew wtf he was doing then. For sure he mentioned the power commander. I am not sure about the ignition advancer but he might have also mentioned that...can you elaborate on what the ignition advancer would do? thanks for the info

Mike

·
Registered
180 Posts
The time that the fuel takes to burn in your cylinders is roughly constant. But the speed of the pistons increases as the engine speed increases. This means that the faster the engine goes, the earlier the spark has to occur. This is called spark advance.The faster the engine speed, the more advance is required. An ignition advancer advances the timing of your spark to compensate for your increased engine speed.

The big four (Yam/Kaw/Suz/Hon) do their best to minimize emissions when maximum power is not required. For instance, by retarding the spark timing (moving the spark closer to the top of the compression stroke), maximum cylinder pressures and temperatures can be reduced. Lowering temperatures helps reduce the formation of nitrogen oxides, which are a regulated pollutant. Retarding the timing may also eliminate knocking

From the factory your bike is kind of set to a "happy medium", but by installing an ignition advance unit you can get a little more power out of your motor. Don't know if that helped at all.....

AL
:cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much does an igntion advancer cost? Where should i look to find the cheapest price? Guess like if its worth it i will be looking for an ignition advancer. thanks

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts