Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trading in my 98 yzf 600r for a 04 600 r6 (silver + Black flame)....I am very excited...should take delivery by end of this month.....

Was wondering first......performance differences?? hp / torque....your opinions....

2nd.....my gf likes to have handles on the back in order for her to hold on....so to have these installed on my new bike will run about $500 (professionally installed...and supported....guaranteed)

- anyone ever done this with their R6? if so...how did it go...suggestons??

thanks so much!! chuck

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ok, first of all, I would not suggest installing handles on the bike for the gf. Especially for that price! She can hold onto you and push on the tank under braking. I understand though if it comes down to handles or her not riding. Just my opinion though.....

For performance, you will be pleasantly suprised. :cheers Brakes are a huge improvement over the 600R, and power is also up. I think the most noticable thing for you will be how much smaller and ligher the R6 will feel. Wheelies are easy to do without dumping the clutch, and side to side is just amazing. Downside is that the R6 isnt nearly as comfortable when you are on it for more than an hour at a time. I'm sure you will enjoy it in any case. Happy riding!

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think the Thundercat was about 85 HP. The new R6 is about 104 HP.

You will notice the 'cat has a bit more grunt down low, but the R6 comes on like an avalanche once the revs start climbing. The 'cat was happy just cruising along at a moderately brisk pace... the 6 begs to be flogged constantly, and you will find yourself riding WAY too fast everywhere.

And if carrying a passenger is a high priority, you are buying the wrong bike. Not only will adding the grab rails be rediculously expensive... it will look like shit. And she will still be uncomfortable unless she is only 4' tall, because cramped is an easy way of describing the passenger accomodations.

The 6 is a sweet ass bike, but it certainly isn't the do-it-all bike that the Thundercat is.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rocky...performance & rails?

Rocky....

Thanks for you feedback....the guy I spoke with is going to show me the handles...where they will be mounted before I buy it....also....if they look like shit then no dice....the girlfriend will just have to hang on to me...

I will just be tooling around town a little with her...here and there..no long rides...

Regarding performance....I am a little confused with regard to low end 600r vs. 600 r6......one of the things I notice about my 600r...is it lacks low end....

by your post below...it seems to me that you are saying that it out "grunts" the 600 r6? perhaps I am just confused....

please clarify...

I wish I could just keep my 600r....but it just does not have the pick up I want....

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i think what hes saying is the 600r motor is set up more for street ridin where as the r6 is set up more for racin. so the 600r will have more grunt down in the low rpms. and congrats on the r6.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Your 600r will feel like it makes more power below about 8k rpm. There will be no comparison after 8k, the R6 will blow it away. If more low end grunt is what you are looking for, consider another bike... because the R6 isn't a stump-puller.

Seeing as how you mention low end grunt as one of the things you are looking for, be sure to ride an R6 before you sign the paperwork. I figured out pretty quickly that my R6 would be a track-only bike, it was only a matter of time.

If you are talking about short jaunts, it shouldn't be that bad with a passenger. However, my wife refuses to even ride on my R6(moot point now). Whereas she loved riding on the back of my GPz1100. Hell, she even enjoyed being a passenger back in the day when I rode a GS500.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Your 600r will feel like it makes more power below about 8k rpm. There will be no comparison after 8k, the R6 will blow it away. If more low end grunt is what you are looking for, consider another bike... because the R6 isn't a stump-puller.

Seeing as how you mention low end grunt as one of the things you are looking for, be sure to ride an R6 before you sign the paperwork. I figured out pretty quickly that my R6 would be a track-only bike, it was only a matter of time.

If you are talking about short jaunts, it shouldn't be that bad with a passenger. However, my wife refuses to even ride on my R6(moot point now). Whereas she loved riding on the back of my GPz1100. Hell, she even enjoyed being a passenger back in the day when I rode a GS500.

·
Registered
105 Posts
600R

I had a 2002 600R, nice comfortable bike. Riding my 2004 R6 now, and DAMN! It's just what I was looking for! I really don't think the R6 is much wosre when it comes to comfort...at least not as bad as I though. Anyway, I really didn't notice any more power in the low end on the 600r. The R6 kicks is ass in every aspect, trust me. And the Fi is just unreal compared to those clunky carbs, that's probably what I like the most about the R6 so far. I rode my YZF600R for hours at a time sometimes, and I'll do the same with this R6 - both great bikes. But I feel it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY worth the cash for the R6.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts