Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do the YZF-savvy among us think of the 600R? I have come to regard it as a 'jack of all trades, but master of none' kind of bike. If I were only allowed a single bike to own I might choose this one (the 600R) for its combination of power, styling, comfort and agility. For how old the design and technology is on the bike, it seems pretty kick-arse to me.

what do you guys think? :cheers

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
vtlion said:
So what do the YZF-savvy among us think of the 600R? I have come to regard it as a 'jack of all trades, but master of none' kind of bike. If I were only allowed a single bike to own I might choose this one (the 600R) for its combination of power, styling, comfort and agility. For how old the design and technology is on the bike, it seems pretty kick-arse to me.

what do you guys think? :cheers
the YZF 600R is a fantastic bike.

Almost as powerful as the R6

Almost as cool looking as the R6

WAYYYYY more comfortable as the R6.

Yea 600R is a great bike!
:cheers

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I am not sure, but I would imagine that they use the same tranny.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yes, the FZ6. That bike is freakin' awesome :cheers

One of the guys in the motorcycle club here at PSU just picked up an FZ1. I'm dying to get out on the road and see it in action. But the riding position of the FZ's looks more like a standard to me. More comfortable, but are we really riding because its comfortable?

Personally, I really love my R6. In another few years I may grow tired of the ergos and go for 600R or an FZ6. But for now...

:worship

·
Registered
105 Posts
600R

I bought a new 2002 YZF600R in May '02. I could see how it would be a nice bike. Mine was just a lemon every since I got it. Messed around with the warranty for 16 months and they could NEVER fix it, so I got the 2004 R6. The 600R is not worth saving ~$1000. Anyone trying to decide between the two, GET THE R6. I wish I didn't make a mistake, but I did and that was my fault. Anyway, I love my R6...SOOO much more fun than my 600R. The R6 makes that thing feel like a damn tank. Bulky as shit.[/img]

·
Registered
105 Posts
600R Problems

Well I bought it May '02 brand new. I rode it normally and had it serviced at 600mi. After about 2 months, or 1000mi, I started having problems. It would run on only 2 or 3 cylinders every so often, at least once a week. So i took it in the first time - they replaced a coil. Worked for about a week and started up again, so I took it in and they replaced a carb float. Same problem within a few days. THe next time they replaced all carbs from another new model on the salesfloor. Worked on and off for about a month. Still had the same problem. Now the thing was running rich as hell and didnt run for shit. Finally ordered "modified" carbs from california, still had the same problem. After about 82 days in the shop and 16 months of bullshit, I had enough. I was offered a good deal on an R6, which I really really wanted since the new '03 change. So it all worked out good - got my 2004 R6 now and I love it. I had to stay with a Yamaha anyway cause they kick ass! :cheers

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've heard from a few reviewers that the FZR 6 is a better deal/bike than the YZF 600R ... for the 500 or so you save on the FZR, they said it was the better buy

But then again, with motorcycles, it all comes down to what you guys prefer..

·
Registered
95 Posts
yzf600r Specs?

BTW..does anyone know what the horsepower, torque specs are for the '03 600r ? A friend of mine swears his 03' 600r has more torque than a 03' or 04' r6..but i'm just having trouble believing that.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Re: yzf600r Specs?

Diew said:
BTW..does anyone know what the horsepower, torque specs are for the '03 600r ? A friend of mine swears his 03' 600r has more torque than a 03' or 04' r6..but i'm just having trouble believing that.
well according to the link below it doesnt but its right below it. i think they are 2002 numbers but its the best i could find. im sure its not to much different to 2003-2004

R6 44.4
600r 44.3

http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/depts/Dec03PerfIndexPart2.pdf

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Re: yzf600r Specs?

Diew said:
well according to the link below it doesnt but its right below it. i think they are 2002 numbers but its the best i could find. im sure its not to much different to 2003-2004

R6 44.4
600r 44.3

http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/depts/Dec03PerfIndexPart2.pdf

·
Registered
95 Posts
hmmmm...But according to that chart the yzf600r is a 1997 model. so the '97 600r has 44.3 and the '01 r6 has 44.4....thats pretty close considering that the r6 is 4 years newer than the 600r..so do you think the 03' 600r does have more torque than the r6?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
im sure its possible, its bike made more for the lower end of the power curve, were as the r6 is made for the upper end of the curve so i would say it is defenitly possible it has more torque.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

its from '99 but it gives you an idea of what Yamaha is shooting for with the 600R. Torquey low-midrange with nothing up top. As you can see, its completely tapped out at 10krpm. Its heavier, so with its power curve it could probably hang with an R6 until it ran out of revs, then the the R6 would kill it and eat its babies :twisted:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, when I would be riding my 2002 YZF600R with other people around town, I had absolutely jack to work with...an R6 would be giving it a moderate amount and I would be completely rolling on the throttle beatin the thing, and still got smoked. The thing was just too damn heavy & weak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my YZR600RS in 2006. It has over 100,00kms on it. I think it's a great motorcycle for longer rides, and it's a bit more comfortable the the R6, as I think the wheelbase is a bit longer.
The 600RS was built as a sport touring bike, in my opinion, and can carry a passenger quite nicely. I've maintained my bike perfectly, keep it stored every winter, change the oil in the spring, make sure everything is in good shape,and off I go.
I've owned about 7 bikes since I was in my 20,s and the 600RS has been the best of the class. I'm 66 now and still get out almost everyday in the spring/summer for a ride.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts