Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -
So I went ahead and bought a Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen for my 2003 r6 offa ebay. The guy said he had a lot of old stock still kicking around and it was a good price. Finally gave me reason to replace the ugly blue one the previous owner decided to stick on there. The windscreen came in on Saturday and it was just as advertised. I unbolted my old on, slid the new ZG on, only to realize that the zero grav windscreen didn't come with any hardware. The old screen had these rubber gromet things on each screw hole through the screen. Each of these little gromets had a thread on the inside that the allen screws that hold your windscreen on thread into. I could pop these out of my old windscreen, but they have a rubber ring on them that makes install into the new screen really difficult if not impossible without some modification. My question is this:
Can I use the old rubber gromets somehow? And if not, where can I get some hardware for my screen? Preferably for cheap, is this something my local dealer should have in stock?
Thanks. :hump:D

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Im pretty sure you can use the hardware from your old screen...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thanks for the reply..I'll check it out again after work today. Those rubber pieces just really didn't want to go into the new one and I didn't want to keep trying if they weren't meant to go. Guess I was just being a pansy, what else is new.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Try using some light grease or baby oil...its all about the lube :fact:sing

·
Gotta Love the R6
219 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll definitely try again, those rubber threads just didn't want to go. Did you have trouble getting them in? They may be different pieces than what you had all together. Either way, I'll grease those hogs up tonight and see what I can do.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
I used my stock windscreen rubbers too. Used a flat head screw driver and carefully applied pressure to get them out. Then again but extra slow when putting them in the new windshield so it doesn't completely go out the other end.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ah good to know, I lubed them up, seated them, and gave them a good twist and was able to get all 4 back in. Thanks for the help, just didn't want to bust the rubber pieces or the screen.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
I like the ZG hardware. They have a set of nylon bolts and nuts. Super simple and they don't give you any problems like well nuts can from time to time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts